2x teleconverter

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by John R Campbell, Jul 12, 2023.

1. John R Campbell

John R Campbell New Member

Equipment:
    Canon T8I With a Tamron 150-600 Lens
    I have a Canon T8I with a Tamron 150-600 zoom lens. I am thinking about adding A 2X teleconverter.
    Anyone have any thoughts on the subject or a recommendation of which one would go with this set up?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I have some concerns about auto-focus, usually they don't perform well on long lenses unless you have pro camera bodies like the 1d series. You also loose 2 stops of light adding a 2x converter, so your fastest f11, not the ideal lens and body setup, generally a 2x is best on a fast prime like a 2.8.

You probably would have better luck with a 1.4x converter, but I am hoping some of our members who shoot with converters can weigh in on the topic as I never shoot longer than 200mm, i live on the wide end of the spectrum if anything.

3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    well for what its worth i shoot with the sigma 150-600mm and occasionally use the canon mkIII teleconverter, my body is the M50 so i use that with the ef to efm adapter, auto focus wise mine is excellent with the converter, auto focusing on jupiter and the moon very well, the difference in bodies will have alot more than the difference in lenses i think

as a general rule, the autofocus speed will, and does slow down with a teleconverter (slows down a heck of alot with two x2 stacked!, but with my M50 it still auto focuses (not on infinity due to the double stack)

so if you are planning on using a teleconverter for fast motion like birds in flight it might not be what you want, for still subjects on a bright day or well lit objects like the moon and planets it works very well on thw sigma 150-600mm, the tameron image quality wise is much the same.

tc's work best on faster constant aperture zooms and prime lenses, or on the formentiond bright days well lit objects due to the drop in light from the extra glass and slower shutter speeds needed to comp for it, raising the iso is an option but you may well be better of goin with the natural 600mm and a cleaner image to crop into,

so some of that might help