700d mirror stays up after using vaf filter

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by wenildexis5, Sep 3, 2020.

1. wenildexis5

wenildexis5 New Member

My Canon 700d's mirror stays up after i used a vaf-txi filter from mosaic engineering for some days. When i take a picture the mirror stays up and doesn't move down again so i can't use the viewfinder anymore. Rest is working though. Looks like the vaf damaged some of the mirrors mechanic as it is not strong enough anymore to move it down. You can move it down by hand but that's only a solution for one picture. Any advice help or recommendation is very much apreciated. Thank you! ps: i don't recommend for others to use this sort filter of course because of the result.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Just looked into these filters, seems interesting that it would have blocked the mirror. it appears they mount at the front of the mirror box, so unless you put a lens on the knocks it out of place then the mirror should not catch on it.
    Unfortunately if the mirror mechanism is not working you should probably have a Canon service center look at it to fix it. It may be enough cost to upgrade the body since the 700d is probably 250 used.