850D Video Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Vinny83, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Vinny83

Vinny83 New Member

Hello,

I work in a college and we use 850Ds to film with. Recently a couple of students have brought back footage (using different cameras) that seems to be dropping frames and it's 'burnt into' the video, by that I mean the problem is occurring way before we even get it into the edit software. We film at 23.98fps and when I open the footage in quicktime the footage is choppy. It appears to essentially be recording at 12fps, but this is not an option in the camera settings, and the vast , majority of footage comes back as I would expect.

Does anybody know why this might be happening?

2. stevet1

stevet1 New Member

Vinny,
    For those cameras which have experienced problems, do you know if the photographer had set the shutter speed to less than at least twice the frame rate? Were they shooting at less than 1/50 or 1/60 ss?

Do you experience the same problem if they shoot at 30fps?
    Steve Thomas

Vinny83 likes this.
  3. Vinny83

Vinny83 New Member

Hi, SS was 1/50 (something I checked when they brought the camera back). The strange thing was that the first 2/3rds of footage was fine and the last 1/3rd (filmed when the battery was low) was choppy. In fact, I used the camera with the same settings and it filmed fine. Very puzzling.
    I have tried at 30fps and it records fine ,however as I just mentioned, the same camera filming at 23.98fps was ok when I used it. Very, very strange.

4. stevet1

stevet1 New Member

Vinny,
    Sounds like the low battery level might have been the problem. I have an 850D myself, and I know it gets warm after a while.
    I haven't done much video on mine, but here's one I shot using Canon's Camera Connect. I set the camera and tripod up outside and shot this while I was inside sitting in my recliner.
    That was pretty neat.
    I think this was at 60 fps.

Steve Thomas

5. Joey Williams

Joey Williams Member

Equipment:
    Sony Alpha 77
    Hi Vinny,

Unfortunately, I have faced a similar issue during one of my projects. The video when exported into my PC for editing, was stuttering and did not work much but as my deadline was nearby so I had to go through web research for recovering those videos. So went up looking for a professional tool to work it up and finally, I listed down the ones that would suffice my issues. Stellar Repair for Video, Wondershare & EaseUs were shortlisted and the Stellar did very much work for me to repair my videos to be playable which then were edited accordingly.

Verdict: Stellar gives more options in video formats for repairing.

P.S. Don’t fall for freeware tools as they acted as malware in my system which was very annoying.

Samy likes this.
  6. Ellinor William

Ellinor William New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 90DSLR
    Repairing the video could be a solution. And, Stellar repair software is very much useful for such issue. Also, we should try to focus on the problem, If there is a drastic change in the exposure level during auto exposure movie recording, the recording will stop momentarily until the brightness stabilizes. In such a case, shoot in the M mode.
    Also, as stevet1 has suggested, low battery level might have also been the problem.

Samy likes this.