90d Grainy / Noisy pictures in RAW

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by SHARPfocus, Aug 15, 2020.

1. SHARPfocus

SHARPfocus New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 90d, Sigma 150 - 300mm, Tamron 70 - 300mm
    Hi all, new to this forum so my apologies if this has already been covered.. I have just treated myself to a new camera as my old one had some scratches on the mirrors - it was old and owned me nothing (cracking camera for it's time)

I replaced my Canon 1100d with the 90d - because of all the reviews saying how fabulous the image quality is.

I have set it to RAW and the pictures are so grainy it is untrue - i'm gutted.

Clearly i have done something wrong - settings or set up or something - but i don't know what. The lens is a Tamron 70 - 300 mm.

The first picture of the thistle is taken on the 1100d - not grainy (particularly!), the bird is on the 90D - unbelievably grainy! Neither has been touched - except a little cropping to make the grain more obvious.

Iso 100-400; SS about 1/800; - 1/1000; f5.6 of thereabouts.

Help please..........
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i'm pretty new to digital photography too but i'll have a crack at an answer, the shutter speed might be too fast for the iso
    what helped me out alot was learning how to use the histogram so i could gauge my exposure.
    The key to getting good quality pictures really is understanding how to balance the exposure triangle. ie realizing how much light is available, what speed you need to shoot at etc
    sure some of the others will be along in a minute to give some proper help.
    Nice captures though

oh and for what its worth i dont shoot raw, just jpeg, i started off with raw + jpeg but i found the canon (M50) was producing excellent jpegs and the buffer was a too small for raw wildlife action shooting, also i cant be arsed to edit in post unless its for a creative / digital art.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  3. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Welcome SHARPfocus. It does appear that the settings were not helping to get a good exposure. f:10 | 1/640s | ISO 5000.
    with those settings, that will probably give you some noise. Your first image is ISO 400 which didn't produce noise. I would suggest that for a small bird like this that you use the largest aperture on your lens - on the Tamron 70 - 300 mm is f:4, simply to let more light onto the sensor, which will drop the ISO. Another thing that will help is to lower the shutter speed to between 320 and 500. Whilst learning about your new camera, take a few shots on AUTO and see what setting were applied. If the image is reasonably OK then those settings will give you a starting point for when you use Av, Tv or Manual. All this is a learning curve and won't happen overnight so practice - practice - practice. Enjoy your new toy!
    PS: I notice you have a Sigma 150-300. I'm not familiar with that, can you link me to some specs?

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Right 5000 ISO is going to show noise, it would not be my preferred way to get an exposure which is still a bit dark also. Thanks for digging up the ISO Isac.

I think the message here is you had room to open up the lens another stop or two and allow light in there without sacrificing to much depth of field. The shutter was more than fast enough at 1/640 and you could have also slowed that down as Isac suggested, the old rule before all the fancy image stabilization is to use the reciprocal of the lens length to freeze camera lens shake so a 300mm lens would be 1/300 of second. Both of these sets of could have got you near 1600 iso which would not have been nearly as grainy.

Isac likes this.