A dilema.... R1, R3, R52

Discussion in 'Canon EOS R Series' started by RSteveH, Jul 28, 2024.

1. RSteveH

RSteveH New Member

Hi Guys I'm new here. I've used Canon since the original film EOS cameras all those years ago. And since I've had everything from the 5D 2 and 3, to the D1, the D1x etc etc. The last few years I lost my mojo for taking pics, so I offloaded all my gear, and stayed away for a while.

But now I'm getting the bug again. I can't decide between the R52, the R3 or the R1, and with that 24-105 f2.8 Z lens, to start. I like this lens is a hybrid between stills and video. And that it's f2.8 throughout the range. The R1 obviously is a huge expense but it's 'new'. The R3 is now 3 yrs old, and with the release of the R1, does it mean there won't be an R32? The R52 like the R1 looks spectacular in spec, but I just prefer the bigger bodies like R3 and R1. I think I know what I'm gonna do, but I was wondeitng what are the thoughts of you guys. I do everything from street photography, to events, like car meets etc, and even some sports, which I believe the R1 is primarily aimed at (although some bigegr leneses woud be required).

Any thoughts would be good guys?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I am probably the more conservative view here. So it seems ill play a devils advocate roll with my view, but if you loved you big build 1D cameras i can see the appeal of the R3,R3II or R1..so I see why your thinking that route.

Honestly unless you really see yourself taking advantage of the few spec bumps of the raw buffer and burst mode, I think the R3 is still going to feel like a big jump ahead of your 1D bodies and plenty of camera for ya. I don't like to recommend buying the highest end newest body unless I was making a living off of that gear, and even then I don't see a need having the newest gear all the time. :)

If you want megapixels the R5 line is probably a better bet ( i assume R52 meant R5II not a mistype of R50 lol) Either the mark 1 or mark 2 with 45mp would be a great camera and you can always but a grip on these to make them feel more like the 1D line.

Personally if i was starting over after dumping everything i would buy an R5 over the r6 just for the pixel count, because i would favor that over camera size, but I would likely buy the mark 1 to save money (maybe used even) and work on picking out L lenses first. You can always buy a better camera later if you need the features and are using the gear enough to make the upgrade worth it. You can get an R5mark 1 for half the cost of the R6, that's some nice glass you can buy to put on it.

But hey I am so deep in EF gear I have no interest to pivot into mirror-less right now myself yet, in fact I actually see those moving as a benefit to the used market for me. :D

RSteveH likes this.
  3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    R5mkII and add one of the grips to size it up

RSteveH likes this.
  4. RSteveH

RSteveH New Member

Thank you for your well rounded reply. Your thoughts are along with my own largely. I tend to overspec my bodies so that I don't feel i've outgrown it, or that there is nothing elsse to learn from it as i use it. I've very rarely if ever used the full spec of whatever I own. And mostly my gear gets only light to moderat use, never heavy. I also, in the back of my mind, I think about reselling at some time, maybe in 2 or 3 years time. The reselling aspect turns me off the R3 a little since that model is already 3 yrs old, which is why I queried of their would be an R3||. I'm thinking the R1 will be way too ott for me, which leaves the R5||. Sounds perfect with the 24-105 F2.8 Z and the 70-200mm f2.8 IS. In the past I've always bought highest spec Canon flash, but I found i rarely used it so, what a waste of money? I think I'm settling towards this kit built round the R5||. But i could change my mind overnight so....

5. RSteveH

RSteveH New Member

You're right you know, see above reply. I'm guilty of being a serial cnhager of my mind so... watch this space. Things were so much easier when I had my T50 back in the day.

6. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    i have had the canon M50 for nearly 5 years now, huge array of lenses for 2mm macro to 400mm/600mm wildlife
    i do love the ability to use it as a small system with the efm lenses and the ability to go on a song bird hunt with big guns.

i was looking at the R7 as an additional body, yes its a lot better than the M50 for wildlife but i'm still happy with what i get from it(M50)

one has to wonder what the R7mkII will offer, but with 45mp the R5mkII might be ahead still when the R7 is up dated,
    i do like the extra pixels on target the crop bodies offer but the R5mkII with 45mp and bsi sensor, hmmm fight!!!
    bank account is like whatever, not happening, lol

RSteveH likes this.
  7. RSteveH

RSteveH New Member

I never manage to keep my bodies etc for 5 yrs for some reason. I have this constant need to update and get the latest thing. I know, my wife says it's 'pathetic' (her exact word). I'm like, 'whatever'. I think the Z hybrid lenses are going to be wild. that 24-105, f2.8 looks good enough to keep on as a standard lens and ready for both still and video. I used to do quite a lot of sports stuff, so am naturally attracted to the wide aperture lenses. but these are serious money. I will have to get the 70-200 f2.8 IS, and i'll be good to go. My bank account sees me coming and just 'groans'. I'll be finishing work as in retiring in the next few years. So my project is to document my last years in London. I think I'm set on the R52, but I cannot discount that I may go for a bigger body when I come to press 'send' on the order form.

8. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    where you planing on going from London?
    i've lived there all my life, retired now but my gf is now doing a vet nurse coarse so probably be a bit longer
    probably looking to move out to barnstaple or norfolk in the wroxham / coltishal area

RSteveH likes this.
  9. RSteveH

RSteveH New Member

I've spent 35 yrs in London. In the City and West London. I've got a house outside the M25 Surrey / Sussex border. That's where I'll be going. Its not too far away if I get the calling for the big city at any time (not!)

Thinking about the R52. Did they solve that overheating issue from the original R5? If they're offering a grip with cooling fan that tells me not. I never stress my cameras but to get an overheat would be miffing, I think.

10. RSteveH

RSteveH New Member

Update to this; I got an unbeatable deal on a new R3. It was too good to turn down. I guess with the R1 incoming, the prices on R3 will come down and more, I think I'll probably wait until the R52 becomes widely available, and then snap one up then to compliment the R3. Details on exact delivery dates of first batch of R52 and R1 are sketchy. Some say August, some say November. Then there's no guarantee of getting one of the first batch. Can't be doing with all that......

11. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Congrats on the purchase, now the better question which glass is first on the docket?

RSteveH likes this.
  12. RSteveH

RSteveH New Member

Well Johnsey.... just this morning I received the R3. Very pleased. Lighter than I imagined which is just as well given the weight of the lenses. I'm giving the 24-105mm IS F2.8 Z a go. It's diferent in that they call it hybrid, so... I have read the reviews, some of them quite negative. I've never had a bad Canon lens through the years. So I'll test it out and see what I get from it. I have to say, it is a very heavy lens, but it's ok. ALSO I've got the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L to make up my zoom length a little. For now, that's it. I almost got the 100-500mm IS L as well but my wife informed me we need a new fridge freezer, just before i pressed send on that order. I'll save that puchase for next up.

13. johnsey

Equipment:
    Sounds like its good she caught you in time. :)

I have no RF lenses to put y exact 2 cents in, but I imagine there may be some trade offs for the extra 2.8 meaning edge sharpness, chromatic aberration, etc for example.. So if there are a number of negative reviews, I imagine the issue is that the reviewers are expecting a little better performance in those type of problem areas given its price tag, they would also compare their opinions to other options they are tried and reviewed, just a quick google seems like they prefer the cheaper 4.0 version unless the 2.8 is needed. Seems like its a great hybrid photo/video lens and would be ideal for a wedding photographer. I'm sure you will be quite happy with the lens, but give it some work testing right away so you know if you want to return and swap for something else.

14. RSteveH

RSteveH New Member

UPDATE: Now i have to update my firmware. It looks like a fairly straightforward task but is there anything I need to look out for, specificaly? I'm assuming its better to install formware from one of the storage devices as opposed to via wireless connection?

15. RSteveH

RSteveH New Member

Easy fix this. Download the compressed file from Canon uk, to MBP. Open it up, transfer the .fir file to SD card. Pop the card into the R3 and use the update fiirmware app in camera to install. R3 found the .fri file and whole update took around 10 to 15 minutes. Job done!