Adapter?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Wer, Aug 15, 2024.

1. Wer

Wer New Member

Hi all, I am starting my first adventure with photography, I bought a second hand Canon EOS 7D,canon EF 100 mm f /2.8 L USM macro lens Canon MR-14EX Ring Light/Macro Ring Lite Flash , do I need any adapters to assemble it all together?what do I need and which part connects with which. Thank you for your patience and any help

2. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    It's all quite simple, the lens fits onto the front of the camera, the large circular part of the flash fits onto the front of the lens and box shaped part of the flash fits into the flash shoe on top of the camera.
    The only part that may need an adaptor is fittting the flash to the front of the lens but if all this equipment has been used together before then I would expect it to have the right fittings.
    It sounds as though you are a bit out of your depth and I would suggest that you get some practice with the camera and lens before attempting to use the flash.
    It is worth studying the user manuals, especially for the flash, if you haven't got them then they can be downloaded from the official Canon website.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2024
  3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Congrats on the purchase, the 7d is solid workhorse in the crop sensor DSLR line, the 100mm L is fantastic lens i am sure you will love. You may have a little learning curve on the ring light, and I would suggest as Ray said getting familiar with the menus and shooting raw on the camera without adding flash lighting into the equation and get familiar with shooting in different modes.
    Once your ready for the flash you can always watch some YouTube tutorials on using that flash to get a feel for it.