Auto Focus issues

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Tracie Jayne, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Tracie Jayne

Tracie Jayne New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 800d /T7i
    Canon 550d
    Canon1200d
    i have a canon 800d/T7i when shooting with various lenses the focus is out. Although when I shoot using live view mode with the screen, the images are sharp and in focus.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I think we may need some extra info. I follow that different lenses give the same issue being out of focus. And you get sharp images using the live view. I am assuming you have at least 2 lenses and both can be used with live view to get sharp images.
    So what you are trying to say is the gear seems to be fine regardless of lens when live view is used, is that it?

So the issue is focus with the view finder? Are you getting a focus lock from the focus point you want to use when focusing? Is that image in focus on the computer? If the view finder is soft but the focus is working and produces good images, you may have to adjust the dipoter for your eyes, do you wear glasses? This is the most likely problem, and can be confirmed by letting auto focus do its thing and seeing the output on the computer and seeing if the viewfinder is just soft. If the camera is having a focus issue only in this mode the only other thing i can think of is a mirror issue where the AF may be focusing off of a mirror that is not aligned or something like that.

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D,350D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses.Mamiya universal press camera and 4 lenses, Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 5 lenses, Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome Tracie, Johnsey is correct in what he is saying, some samples of the photos and the distance to the subject, aperture, ISO and shutter speed would help
    We can then look at other issues.