Battery fully charged but camera won't work

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by TPPhoto46, May 29, 2022.

1. TPPhoto46

TPPhoto46 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 2000D DSLR Camera with 18-55mm DC Lens
    Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro lens
    Hi, I went to use my camera this morning and it didn't work. I took the battery out and put it on charge. The green light came on a couple of hours later to say it was fully charged. I put it back into my camera and the camera still won't work. I turn the camera on and it still doesn't work. I have taken the battery out and re-inserted it a couple of times. My camera was working absolutely fine yesterday. Any ideas what could be the cause? Many thanks.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Does it show signs of life at all when you turn it on? The LCD shout work if battery is making a connection and has a charge.
    Also the battery door has a pin on it, the ping may not be tripping the switch that it is suppose to hit, that tells the camera the battery door is shit and will not allow it to work if the door is open.

3. TPPhoto46

TPPhoto46 New Member

Equipment:
    There is a little sign of life when I turn the camera on. The lens zooms out slightly but nothing else. The LCD doesn't come on at all.

4. TPPhoto46

TPPhoto46 New Member

Equipment:
    I found a video on Youtube which said to remove the lens, battery and card overnight and then put them all back on the next day and there is about a 40% chance it will work. If that doesn't work then to get a new card and put that in and 99% of the time that resolves the issue. It said that some Canon cameras lock up if left on and the battery has drained.

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Definitely worth a shot, I dunno how much stock i put in the camera locking up off a dead battery. I would go ahead and try charging the battery again to see how fast it registers charged. The camera at most is a few years old and I would imagine you haven't put the mileage on the battery to wear it out so that its a battery issue. But it is definitely possible.

You said the lens zooms? I assume that the focus ring twitched, there would be no powered zoom on a your DSLR and lens which is why i assume the focus motor twitched on power up, which means there is some power getting from the battery to the camera.
    • I always like to have a 2/3rd - fully charged battery in the camera when it is not being used daily.
    • I have at least 2 batteries that work in my cameras, and two memory cards that I can switch between for my cameras.
    • That way if there is any question about the card or the battery a quick swap rules out the problem.
    • You can clean up the battery contacts with a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol, sometimes a dirty connection causes issues, this would also apply to a lens that is not being recognized by the camera if you every have an issue with that.
    Could you have a much larger fault? Well... possibly the camera's main board has an issue, but that would have most likely started acting weird slowly over time, which is why the assumption is dirty battery contacts or something of that nature.

I highly recommend the second battery and SD card, both can fail rather suddenly over time. They can also last decade or two, so your mileage may vary.

Electronics lithium batteries like the ones canon use can be very fickle if left dead for periods of time, i check and charge mine every few months even if not used. They have a "memory" which can learn for example that 5-10% is full if you let them collect dust for long periods of time. For example, the battery for my 20d appeared dead several years back because i hadn't used it really since 2010(after upgrading to a 5d2) , after working with it over the course of a few weeks of using and recharging it several times it was back to 70% of its original life, so they can be brought back from the dead sometimes. Keep in mind that battery is 18 years old now and well over a decade when it acted up.

6. TPPhoto46

TPPhoto46 New Member

Equipment:
    Thank you for this information. The camera and battery are only a week old so they should be ok.