Bent strap mount 7d mk2

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Mrxhris, Oct 28, 2023.

1. Mrxhris

Mrxhris New Member

Equipment:
    7d mk 2
    M5
    Hi my 7dmk2 fell of a table today (ouch!). The only visible damage is the strap mount on the left side ( mode dial side) which has bent down nipping the peak design loop against the body. Does anyone know what the fitting is made of? I suspect it will be stainless steel and if anyone has any experience in straightening it
    Cheers Chris

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    No but I think your spot on, I would get a a leatherman type tool where you have something more along the lines of a longer needle nose pliers end and carefully grab it were you can slowly bend the thing back in unison very slowly across the two bends that happened. So you do not break the metal off.

So if re represents the bent part use the pliers across the purple direction and slowly work to straighten inline with green if that represents the angle it originally was... Keep in mind the metal is probably well weakened and is susceptible to busting, It may be worth just getting a peak design camera clip plate for the bottom and relying on that as your second point of connection instead of the left clip, that or an l bracket of sorts for the left side if you still want a release on both the left and right. I'm not sure how much i would trust it after you straighten it out.

Black box and line represent camera body, sorry its very rudimentary.
    upload_2023-11-1_14-18-56.png

Attached Files:

Mrxhris likes this.
  3. Mrxhris

Mrxhris New Member

Equipment:
    7d mk 2
    M5
    Managed to gently lever the strap mount with a small flat bladed screw driver . Looks like the mount is ok