Black bar appears at the top left of pictures, moves toward center

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Dale, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Dale

Dale New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 800D Rebel T7i
    I use a Canon EOS Rebel T7i 800D camera.

I have been having an issue for a while, that I can't find help on fixing.

A black bar appears in the top left of my pictures, that slowly moves up and down as I take the
    pictures. When I look through the viewfinder eyepiece, I don't see it at all, but it appears in all photos,
    and is really bad, covering most of the frame.

When I look through the LCD monitor, it shows up, mostly stays to the top, but has recently moved all the
    way t the center of the picture and I get error messages and an unable to take more pictures.

IT'S NOT IN THE LENS. I use two different lenses, have cleaned both, and it appears the same no matter
    what lens I use. I cleaned out the mirror area, but there's no debris there.

It appears to be a piece of the camera, and it appears to be inside. I posted example pictures to show
    the exact problem. Any help is much appreciated! IMG_8994.jpg IMG_8996.jpg IMG_9001.jpg IMG_9005.jpg

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    This seems like it would be a blade of the shutter that has broke and is not moving with the rest. If that is the case you will need a new mirror box/shutter assembly i believe from canon, which may not be cost effective for the T7i. Did the camera have a lot of mileage on the shutter? Or did it take a hard impact?

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    What do you see when you have no lens mounted on the camera, and you flip the mirror up? Can you see anything that doesn't look as if it should be there in front of the sensor?

Gary