Canon 40D - Reduced Menu and Fixed ISO

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Martyn Nixon, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Martyn Nixon

Martyn Nixon New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 40D
    Hi, I am really hoping someone can help. I am at my wits end having wasted much of my Sunday searching the internet.

I have a Canon 40D DSLR which I have had from new, is in good general condition, but it has not been used for a while. As I try to relearn the camera I have noticed two issues
    1. I can not change the ISO setting, seems stuck at 400
    2. I am unable to access the camera's menu when in any manual mode; the O, Tv, Av, M etc. When in basic and auto mode pressing the menu button brings up the menu, select any of the above manual modes and the many button does nothing.

I have taken both batteries out and let the CMOS die, I have tried to access the Setup 3 menu to "Reset" the camera but it is not presented in the options of the menu I can access. Even holding down the Menu and the Jump buttons does nothing. In addition, when in manual mode, none of the front buttons, the WB, AF/Drive, ISO/Flash buttons seem to work. The light button is ok and the wheels both front and back adjust the aperture and Shutter speed settings. But I can neither lower the ISO below 400 nor access the more advanced menus to perform a "Reset Camera Settings". I am not convinced this is an "Ex-Camera", that has is "Ceesed to be" I am sure I am just being stupid.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

C00LH4ND

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    i think the internal motherboard/control board is toast seems to have shorted out multiple internally wired connections.