Canon 7 vintage new-to-me

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Mike Lee, Mar 24, 2024.

1. Mike Lee

Mike Lee New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 7, Canon AE-1, Canon 60D, Canon 90D, Canon m50 Mark ii
    Hi everyone! Longtime Canon owner here, shot my AE1 for the first time back in the 80s in grade school.

I’ve just purchased a Canon 7 Rangefinder and would love any recos for <$200 lenses. They’re hard to find at a decent price!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    No specific recommendations, but this uses the m39 Leica mount right? I assume Leica and Nikkor lenses in this screw mount would be your best bet, I would shy away from the soviet knock offs like Jupiter. You probably will have to identify a few lenses at a mm and price range and compare reviews of them. Maybe we have some screw mount film guys here that can jump in and suggest a few good bargains. I just wanted to set global expectation on the mount as its not really just a canon thing and its rather niche in the canon universe. Plenty of use have thoughts on different EF and FD lenses that cover the last 40+ years though :)

3. Mike Lee

Mike Lee New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 7, Canon AE-1, Canon 60D, Canon 90D, Canon m50 Mark ii
    Thanks for the note back! Yep, this is a L39 screw mount, so it could take the many Leica lenses of the day. Would love some suggestions!!

Also would love to know if there are some good adapters ... I do have some great EF and FD lenses, and even some wonderful AR Konica lenses, though my guess is that this thing will pretty much only take rangefinder lenses.