Canon 80D won't record video

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by nick_s, Jan 14, 2024.

1. nick_s

nick_s New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    The camera will not record video anymore. When in Movie Shooting mode, pressing the Start/Stop button OR pressing on and then releasing the rear body of the camera flips the mirror up/down and puts the camera in/out of Live View, without Recording starting.
    I’ve tried changing lenses, resetting to factory settings, pulling the battery and SD card, upgraded the firmware, and removed the camera back and cleaned the contacts on the Live View/Movie shooting switch, all without success. Occasionally (after 1 or 2 dozen or way-more attempts) a short 1 second movie may record.
    I bought this camera used (mid 2023) and the Live View/Movie shooting switch was very hard to turn, but video recording worked. When I opened the camera-back to try repairing the video, I loosened the interior switch mounting screws and the switch now is loosened.

Looks like a short somewhere? in the flex cables ?... or is the problem elsewhere?

I can replace the entire rear back c/w new flex cables for ~$100 but don't want to spend the money if the problem is elsewhere.

No problems in shooting pictures in Live View.

2. nick_s

nick_s New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Solved!
    I decided to open up the camera again today and take a good look at the Live view/Movie shooting switch. I lifted up the flex cable and with the help of a magnifying glass looked at the circular copper area of the flex cable where the switch makes contact. I noticed that there was a designed separation in the circular area at the point were the switch contact moves to movie shooting and there was some wear in the copper just before that point. I cleaned the area really well and scraped it gently with a screw driver and dragged the corner of the screw driver across the separation zone (thinking that the copper had been worn and dragged across the separation and causing a short).
    Camera now records video!
    Thanks to all who read my post.

Alfred Pennyworth likes this.