Canon AE-1 Will Not Fire Nor Wind

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by gud, Jan 20, 2019.

1. gud

gud New Member

Equipment:
    Canon AE1 75-200mm + Power Winder
    Hello everybody, this is my first post on this forum.

I bought a Canon AE-1 off eBay a couple of months ago and haven't been able to get it working since.
    It will simply not fire at all. So far I have tried all sorts of different batteries, including 4 LR44 batteries (the button ones) stacked together, to no avail. I have also tried firing the shutter via a remote cable, thinking the assembly is broken, but that was in vain as well.

To elaborate on my problem, the camera does get power. If I press the battery check button, the needle will point at 5.6, which indicates that the battery is working properly. Also, if I point it at a light source, such as a lamp, the needle will begin moving, which is another sign of life.

I have had it fire only once - by itself, even - I remember pressing one of the buttons on the side of the lens mount, when it did a very lethargic movement of the mirror, thus rendering me able to use the winding lever. It also engaged the Power Winder. After that, I remember half pressing the shutter release button and the M and dot lights flashing.

Am I missing something painfully obvious? Is there some sort of initiation procedure that I have to do? Is it just faulty electronics? It would be a shame, because this is a beautiful camera and I would love to shoot with it.

Any and all responses are appreciated. Thanks for reading.

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D,350D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses.Mamiya universal press camera and 4 lenses, Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 5 lenses, Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I have a similar problem with a Minolta MG. The lubricant on the mechanism that allow the shutter to fire and advance the film had dried. The only way to fix it was to strip the camera down and lubricate the moving parts. Could be the same issue due to it's age. all the best with it

3. gud

gud New Member

Equipment:
    Canon AE1 75-200mm + Power Winder
    Okay, I have some interesting news...

I brought it out of my drawer and decided to fire the shutter again. It initially didn't, so I just tried to wind, and it magically did it. I got it to fire four shots before it going dead again. I guess that we can rule out a mechanical failure now? The camera winds fine, and the shutter fires well too. I think it is an electronics issue. Someone care to elaborate? Though I don't think it's related, as soon as I half-pressed the shutter I got the two blinking lights, and after that I was not able to shoot.

Responses appreciated...

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I'm not sure anyone on here has dissected an AE1 and would have useful info, if it is electronic your at the mercy of a repair shop to get your camera working again. If your very mechanically inclined you may be able to get in asCraig said and lube up the parts. Your best bet is finding someone to do a CLA on it and get her working and calibrated.