Canon EF 2x EXTENDER

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by MLPHOTO75, May 13, 2023.

1. MLPHOTO75

MLPHOTO75 New Member

Equipment:
    Beginner
    Hello all,

I recently learned about lens extenders. See plenty of reviews and sample pics of the 2 being used outdoors. Does anyone have pics of it being used indoors? Mostly for sport?
    Curios if it is worth it.

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    indoors you going to be neding a fast lens for sure, you loose quite a bit of light and they often slow the auto focus system down too,
    if you want to do indoor sport best option is to get the fastest lens you can for the focal you need, not an easy one i know as i do foxes at night, the big fast lenses cost more than i can afford,
    i went with the sigma 105mm ƒ1.4, turns night into daytime

as for the x2 extenders, yeah, if you have a fast prime or constant aperture zoom like ƒ2.8 or faster you might get some benefit but i'm willing to say you much better off getting the focal you need and use it without an extender esp for indoor, maybe get a higher quality lens thats a bit shorter and crop in, i know, in a low light situation if you have the iso up a bit cropping is not going to be your best friend.

so to answer the question at the bottom of your post i'm going to say no, not worth it for indoor sports,

for me i use the x2 on bright sunny days or on bright objects like the moon and planets when i have my 150-600mm sigma out

there are some nice ƒ2.8 zoom lenses out there, depending on your budget and ability to lug around some heavy lenses (see it says beginner on your brief)

i'm on the canon M50 which is a crop sensor, i found the sigma EX 50-150mm ƒ2.8 APO OS, <( the OS denotes the third and best generation of this lens), to be a very sharp lens, it takes a x2 very well during the daytime as its stupid sharp and an ƒ2.8 but i think even that would struggle with indoor sports with x2 on it in the darker light, on its own it may be pretty good depending on distance to subjects

unfortunately i don't do indoor or out door sports myself, i got that lens for the indoor zoo enclosures

sports wise i think you going to be looking at an ƒ2.8 zoom, depending on bodies you might be able to use higher iso to regain the light, newer bodies are alot better at handling higher iso (higher iso can make images noisy/grainy) but alot of sports shooters except the noise and shoot for the image rather than not getting anything at all under exposed, alot of time the grain can work with the image

if you are on the end of noisy / grainy images as a result of limitations there are some very good noise reduction softwares out there, DXO i have seen used very well in the wildlife genre

what camera and lenses do you have what lenses are you considering

fwiw i'm mostly a wildlife aperture / hobby shooter so feel free to ignore the above :)

below is Saturn and Jupiter shot with the Canon M50 and sigma 150-600mm with the canon x2 mkIII extender, just a jpeg, no fancy stuff as it was a test of how far i could push the lens without tracking and stacking etc, M50 has a pretty darn good sensor for what it is

planets colla.jpg

3. MLPHOTO75

MLPHOTO75 New Member

Equipment:
    Beginner
    Thank you for your reply. It indeed is very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to break everything down for me.

4. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    don't think i mentioned the ef-s vs ef usage with the ef extender, if you have an ef-s lens the ef extender won't physically fit due to the long stick out of the elements some of the ef extenders, this hits the rear lens element of the ef-s lenses as they are very close to the rear mount flange
    for the ef-s lenses i use kenko dg extenders, and as before they are really bonus items but they do work well on some lenses given the right situations