Canon EOS 1D MkIII - Memory Cards?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Martin Walker, Oct 2, 2023.

1. Martin Walker

Martin Walker New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1D MKIII
    Canon EOS 90D
    Good Evening everybody.

Apologies for what may be a very familiar question - albeit a rather dated one!

Despite owning the 90D I have always had a soft spot for the 'older' professional models and when a 'nice' 1D MkIII appeared on the horizon I thought I would totally defy logic by my retrospective purchase!

As many of you will, no doubt, know this model has dual memory card slots, (one for SD cards and one for CF cards).

Despite trawling the various forums on the Internet I am still struggling to ascertain: -

1. Which card type is 'faster' for data transfer when shooting at 10fps?

2. What is the maximum capacity that can be used by the 1D MkIII?

I believe that the 1D can only read FAT32 partitions and that means that some of the later, (high capacity), cards are not compatible, (unless you reformat them to FAT32 and you then lose the majority of the capacity).

Fortunately the camera had a CF card when I acquired it so I have already been out having a bit of a play and it is a bit of a beast, (when comparing it to the 90D), but I am hoping that it will force me to pay more attention to my photographic theory - as well as giving my upper body a regular workout!

Apologies once again for what I suspect will have been a regular question for many years.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well the size is a limitation of WINDOWs formating, there are threads about formatting larger card capacity on fat 32.

You may find this interesting as someone did some read write comparisons but I would get a good extreme series card in each from sandisk and see how well she performs on both cards.
    https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/help-memory-card-compatibility-for-1d-mark-iii.18855/

I never buy top tier or bottom tier in cards, mid upper grade in sandisk have stood the test of time for me and my cameras over 20 years.

Martin Walker likes this.
  3. Martin Walker

Martin Walker New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1D MKIII
    Canon EOS 90D
    Johnsey,

Many thanks for your response - I have a couple of 128GB SD cards from my D90 so I will try one of those although I suspect I will not be able to use the full capacity due to the partition type limitations.

Been kept busy so I have yet to spend some time with my new acquisition but looking forward to it!

I spent last weekend at my partners daughters wedding and took, (quite a few), pictures with the D90 and was very impressed with some of my shots, (especially so considering I had not used it for ages), the last pictures on the card were that of a family of Otters on the Isle of Arran!

Regards,

Martin.