Canon EOS RP - how to use manual focus

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Terry Robinson, May 29, 2022.

1. Terry Robinson

Terry Robinson New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    CANON EOS RP & Canon RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM lens
    Hello, I have recently purchased a Canon EOS RP & RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM lens. I am trying to learn how to focus using the manual focus mode but am not having any success. The lens has "Focus Control" with two graduations however I'm unable to manually focus the camera. When I try & take a photo of clear sky, there is no response in pressing the camera shutter button. I am aiming to learn how to take Milky Way type photos but haven't had any success so far so any advice would be greatly appreciated please, Thanks and regards. Terry

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    You should be able to turn on live view and focus with the display zoomed in. That said, if your shooting the milky way I would imagine you could just put the lens at infinity for focus for the same results.

3. Terry Robinson

Equipment:
    Thanks johnsey, I have success!

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hey Terry,

Is this a lens where you need to go into the menu to enable manual focusing, and then that enables you to use the focus ring at the front of the lens to manual focus?

Gary

5. Terry Robinson

Equipment:
    Hi Gary, yes, that is correct, it just took me a long time to find the correct option in the menu.

Regards.

Terry