Canon FD Lens Coatings vs nFD Lens Coatings

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by Robert Gregson, Sep 23, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Robert Gregson

Robert Gregson New Member

Equipment:
    Canon FD Lenses
    Hi - I'm a filmmaker and I'm in the process of rehousing some Canon FD and nFD still lenses into cinema housing. My question is regarding the coatings. Earlier FD's are explicitly labeled as having S.S.C. coating, while nFD lenses are not. From what I've read, all the nFD's have the same S.S.C. coating except for the 50 f/1.8, however I have not been able to independently verify this, nor do any of the people who are echoing this info reference their source. I called Canon and they somehow do not have access to this information, which is unfortunate and disappointing to realize that such basic data isn't archived or recorded somewhere. Additionally, in the filmmaking community the S.S.C.'s are seen as more highly valued specifically because of their coating (and match to the Canon K35's) and based on tests I've seen I think it might be a myth. Does anyone have access to an archival New FD Manual that mentions the coatings, or access to any other resource? I've found many Canon FD manuals, but no New FD manuals.