Canon M200 overheating

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Beermat, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Beermat

Beermat New Member

Hi,
    I am using the Canon M200 with stock lens as a webcam, (HDMI clean out 1080P/60fps - no SD card recording). The camera is being powered by a dummy battery setup. I am using this for Zoom conference calls.

After about 30mins or so a red warning light will appear advising that the camera is overheating.

There are no firmwares updates for this camera that I am aware of (Europe). I have set the LDC screen to auto switch off after 1 minute but this does not make a difference.

I'm very disappointed that I cannot use the camera in the intended way. Any ideas?

Thanks,

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I don't know if you will find a software fix for this, but I can't rule it out completely. There are plenty of people using different APS-C and full frame cameras for vlogging using a variety of software. Canon has been responsive and supporting Webcam utility as part of their software package and drivers.

Canon's indented use would be a still camera, not a webcam.
    The larger issue here is the hardware, high megapixel sensors regardless of the manufacturer resolve much more resolution than your little 1080 hdmi needs, these 20+ megapixel sensors create a lot of heat and were intended for photography or short term video capture. Canon early on in HD video capture programmed a 4gig limit on file size keeping video below 30min so that the sensor would not overheat. Your M200 is a very small body which very much limits the ability for that apsc Digic 8 sensor to breath and stay cool.

3. Beermat

Beermat New Member

Thanks for your reply. I hear what you are saying but if the camera really is limited to a 30 mins or so use time for video then it is really being mis-sold. This is especially the case when you consider that Canon sell a streaming kit for this camera for the intended purpose of streaming and gaming video. Maybe buried away somewhere in the small print is a disclaimer about video duration but I do think that the advertising is misleading with this particular limitation.

https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-m200-interchangeable-lens-live-streaming-kit/3699C080/#

I haven't actually witnessed the camera shutting down yet so perhaps this warning can be ignored.

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I guess from what I have read using a capture card seems to allow some streamers to record at length.

Mentions of recording video in the manual and limitations, nothing specifically calling out streaming video straight from camera...
    upload_2022-3-15_14-12-52.png
    upload_2022-3-15_14-39-56.png

I would caution doing much longer than when you get a over heating warning. Canon will likely not cover any damage you made by running the sensor past the indicated warning to the point of damage. It is a large powerful sensor in a very small frame. I only made the point that this is a camera, not a webcam by design. Any manufacturer will pivot to the needs of customers, these mid level cameras have become very popular for vlogging so I guess I can see why company's created such kits to help them sell.

Attached Files:

5. Beermat

Beermat New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I ran a Zoom call yesterday for 90 mins, the warning kicked in after about 40 mins. After the call ended I inspected the camera and no part of it was warm. This could mean that there is heat inside but it is not being conducted to the body or screen of the camera or it could mean that it is genuinely not hot.

This makes me think that the problem could be fixed by a firmware update.