Canon R6 Mark II Communication with Wireless Transmitter

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Maegan, Nov 21, 2023.

1. Maegan

Maegan New Member

I am having an issue with my Canon cameras (R6 Mark II, R5, and 5D Mark IV) and how they operate when I attach my Neewer VC-818TX transmitter (which fires my strobe light). When I place the transmitter on the shoemount, still turned OFF, my cameras are recognizing it and perform differently than when the transmitter is not in the shoemount. To be more specific, with the transmitter turned off, my R6 Mark II will not let me adjust the shutter speed beyond 1/250. Also, if I press the shutter to take a picture the resulting image is blown out and hazy. The camera is acting as if my transmitter is turned on. Can anybody help?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Ill start by saying i have not tested my 5d models in the off position with the transmitter as i only put it on when i am using flash and would not attach it otherwise.
    That being said, clearly this combo of camera is seeing the transmitter and does not know if it is off or not. I would pop the transmitter off for shots where your not using it personally.

Regarding the shutter speed issue this is by design, your camera will not fire past what is the flash sync speed for your camera (1/250 in this case) when it thinks it has a flash attached.... The only way to use a shutter faster than this is to have the High Speed Shutter sported by for your combo of gear and enable it. Idk if the newer transmitter or whatever flash you have support that.