Canon Rebel Error 30 Seeking DIY Repair Advice

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by nichols89_ben, Aug 31, 2024.

Tags:
  1. nichols89_ben

nichols89_ben New Member

Equipment:
    Canon T7i
    Sorry if this is the wrong place, it looked like the best fit

Canon Rebel T7i/800D Error 30 After Internal Filter Removal

Camera Model: Canon EOS Rebel T7i/800D

Issue:

I recently bought a used Canon Rebel T7i/800D to use as a dedicated astrophotography camera. I attach the body directly to a telescope and control it with astro-specific software. Many people modify this camera by removing the internal filter to allow more wavelengths, beneficial for capturing nebulae.

After using the camera stock for about a year without any issues, I decided to perform the modification myself. I’m fairly technical, have plenty of tools, and felt confident following a YouTube tutorial on removing the filter. I successfully removed the internal filter and reassembled the camera.

However, when I tried to take a shot or load the live view, I got an “Error 30” code. I double-checked all wire connections and sensor alignment but had the same issue. I went further and inspected the shutter blades and springs, ensuring nothing was loose. I removed the blades, reinstalled the springs, and tested the shutter motor with a 5V test. The test worked fine; the shutter operated normally.

After reassembling and verifying all cables, the issue persists. I also tried with and without a lens attached, but the problem remains.

I’ve attached a link to pictures of the assembly and videos showing the shutter test and the camera’s behavior.

Links:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hKMk-H8dfxO6F4hk7ArsfWFarVyasGyx?usp=drive_link

Im fully aware the warranty is no more, and I did this at my own risk, but wanted to see if anyone familiar with repair may see where my issue may be and I can adjust it. Thanks for any advice