Canon TS6250 prints orange instead of yellow

Discussion in 'Post Processing, Printing, and Scanning' started by Lorz, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Lorz

Lorz New Member

Hello!
    I have a problem with my canon printer TS6250, Firmware 1.030 and I use it with a MacBook Pro 2020.
    I want to print yellow but I get orange.
    I already did a (normal - not intensive) cleaning of the printhead. But the printhead seems to be alright. And the testing pattern seems to be alright. And there IS a yellow bar on the testing pattern.
    Does anybody know how to fix this?
    OrangeInsteadOfYellow.jpeg

2. Lorz

Lorz New Member

Eventually nice to know: I did "researches" with the yellow-ink. I noticed: when I got a thin film of the yellow ink it has yellow color. But when I got a normal/thicker film it gets orange...

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Without getting into a larger deep dive, I am assuming this is one of 2 things:

1. You are almost out of yellow and its only using it very sparingly and trying to red/magenta in to extend the life of the yellow you have.
    2. A color balance issue with the screen, the printer is definitely believing there is some red in those boxes on the PDF. Hence it is mixing the yellow and red to orange. Occasionally there could be something that was wrong in an original profile and is corrected some a printer firmware update to its drivers (this is not likely an issue but always a possibility). But I would be curious as to the color balance of the screen, if your not about out of ink, i bet its actually a bit orange in the file.

Anyone printing art prints at home has spent hundreds on special software to either ensure the screen is 100% balanced or the print software has a special color balance module /dongle to get good prints ( this was more of thing when i was in college but it was a $1000 usb stick that made the printer match the screen) Even then for example I will find more yellow in my green than I would like for and have to adjust just for the file export i made to print.

4. Lorz

Lorz New Member

@johnsey
    Thank you for answering so quickly!
    To your first point: The first thing I did was changing the yellow cartridge and printed several times. But nothing changed.
    To your second point: I took a look at https://latexcolor.com/ and I can state that the names/definitions and the shown color on my screens match. So I would say that the colors on my screen are shown correctly (or at least correctly enough).
    But I think in general your both points are important and true. I already had that issue described in your first point.

So whats the solution? I think it refers to the paper. It's a thicker paper, 160g, and it seems to be difficult to get a real yellow on it. Whereas my 80g-paper gets a good yellow with the latex "default yellow" (just check the picture, 80g on the left)
    I tested several rgb values. I found 1,1,0.3 to be OK for my product on the 160g-paper.

Now my supposition about the paper: As written above I found out that the yellow color needs to be a thinner layer than the orange color. Maybe the 160 g is more smooth (that is what it feels like) than the 80 g paper. So the 160g - paper sucks in less amount of color liquid so the layer is thicker and more orange.
    One thing that refers to both papers: After some minutes the orange gets a little more yellow when the paper has dried.

Last thing to mention: Sorry for my german-english. I hope it isn't too much work to understand what I wanted to say.

VerlgeichDuennesUDickesPapier.jpg

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I can't speak to the settings on your specific printer/OS combination, but if you dig into settings you should be able to set paper types, in fact in the case of photo printing you can import profiles for professional papers into the computer to use with higher end printers.

Below is from my laserjet printer in the office as it is quickly accessible:
    You can see I can set paper thickness even for my konica minolta that uses toner.
    upload_2024-3-22_15-0-16.png