Canon Utilities download problem.

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Metricscaler, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Metricscaler

Metricscaler New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 7
    Hello!
    I just downloaded the Canon utilities software from the Canon website and when I click on the file to download it says that I need a CD ROM ? Not an expert by any means on computers but I have tried different options with no luck yet . Any help would be much appreciated

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Can you post a link to what your downloading and maybe a screen capture, hard to really troubleshoot when i haven't seen this on any of my downloads.

3. Thumbnail

Thumbnail Active Member Site Supporter

This worked for me:

4. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    This is interesting because i have installed eos utility v2 and v3 ( i needed 2 for my 5 d mark 2, and 3 for my new 5d4 and S)
    On 3 different laptops over the last 10+ years. (2 PC and one Mac)

AT no point did either of the installs prompt me to insert a CD, non of these computers in fact some of them didn't have CD drives, who uses them anymore. I DID have to install eos utility v 1.x from a CD back in the mid 2000s for my 20d, but you cant download that version.

Apparently some people have seen this issue since there is a YouTube for it, I'm genuinely curious what use cases are impacted and why.

5. Thumbnail

Johnsey, as I understand it, if you have previously loaded a Canon Utility from a CD then you will have some sort of 'marker' left on your computer which the Utilities installer looks for. If it doesn't find this marker then it looks for a named CD or, as in the video, a named flash drive, and if found it will commence the installation.
    I recently had to use the flash drive method twice after reformatting the HD's on a laptop and a desktop because I couldn't find my original CD, it worked perfectly on both machines.
    I previously asked for a replacement CD from Canon and they refused saying that it was 'Proprietary' software and only supplied with the purchase of a camera.

6. Thumbnail

Well I never! This morning I needed to install some Pentax software on my PC and it asked for the CD - which I don't have. A quick search on the 'net came up with this same solution to get round the CD issue. Other than the thought in my previous post above I have no idea why some people don't get asked for the CD and some do but either way it is a win-win option now. :)

7. Metricscaler

Metricscaler New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 7
    The problem was that my laptop has windows 11 on it , no compatable program yet. I just downloaded an older version ( windows 8 ) then updated it. Thanks for the help!!

8. Thumbnail

Both of my computers referred to in #5 & #6 above were Windows 11 machines so I am at a loss as to why you had a problem if you used the method I described, however, if you are up and running then all is well.

9. johnsey

Equipment:
    If you have a 7d, the support page was setup with links and downloads back in the windows 7 timeframe, the support pages will not have updated drop downs for a windows version that is 10 years newer.

EOS Utility has 3 major versions 1 was mid 2000s cameras, 2 was from like 08-2013ish, and v3 is the modern run of dslrs, All you need to do is download the most recent windows version that supports the camera. The program hasn't really changed from win 7 to 10 to 11... but they have updated it to add new cameras over the years. So if you instal an older version you should be able to update the version afterwards anyway. You will be able to get newest versions on the support pages for newer cameras. :) This same thing applies for the mac users as well in general.