Connecting a Canon Powershot G11 to a Macbook Air.

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Jake S, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Jake S

Jake S New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Powershot G11
    Could someone please tell me how I could connect my Canon Powershot G11 to my Macbook Air (I
    plan to use it with Darktable). Do I need a driver, if so which one? Is it essential to use the cable that
    came with it or will any cable with two correct ends work? Is this the way to do it or is it easier to just take the SD card out and plug that into my Macbook? Otherwise is there a guide or resource that
    someone could point me to to be able to do this? Thanks.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Pretty much the same process for any camera, software and usb cord, unless it has wifi but that also uses software. https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART102746

The only concern is that its a 2009 camera so the right version of the software for it may be hard to find because the camera maker websites doesn't keep the software over a decade old. But these were very very nice semi pro point and shoots in their day so I am not saying they arent a great little camera. Your best bet, and much faster at transfering than the 2.0 usb connection is to just to pull the SD card and put it directly in the computer, you may want to fresh format when you put back in camera for best practices.

Jake S likes this.