Do I have a faulty brand new lens? (RFS10-18mm)

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Jim30, Jun 29, 2024.

1. Jim30

Jim30 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R10
    Hi

New user here, looking for some advice on if I have a faulty lens.

Last week I bought, direct from Canon webstore in UK, a brand new R10 package with 2 x lens (18-45 and 55-210) and separately the RFS10-18mm lens. I am brand new to DSLR photography.

I’ve used the camera twice now and was very disappointed by the image quality of the latter lens – it felt very dark and blurred – far more than the other two. I’ve looked through the lens and there is a clear crescent moon type shape inside the lens that appears darker than the lens should be. (Images enclosed)

I’m assuming its faulty but wanted to check this.

In terms of return/repair options, I’m comfortably inside the 30 day limit, and have registered the product, but the packaging has been disposed of, so I’ve only got the lens and manuals – is this likely to be an issue for getting it replaced?

Really appreciate any advice for an absolute beginner to this world here – I’ve never experienced this before and feel like I’ve been ripped off by Canon and am a bit worried that due to lack of the box, I won’t get a refund/replacement.

Attached Files:

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I think the lens blade is stuck mostly shut, definitely faulty from the get go. This is very not normal.
    Never throw boxes, You should be able to pack as new and ship in for repair if you need to with the original packaging. I mean i threw some of my 10-15 year old boxes this last year, but I highly recommend saving everything.
    • There can be a bad egg in a lens purchase. Return if possible for sure, its not worth any brand new gear purchase trying to see if it needs service and sending away if you can return and get another copy. This goes for any electronic.
    • While the repair would be free under warranty, Sending for service will cost a fair shipping price insured and is a bit of a hassle if canon confirms the issue is the lens, which it appears it is very likely the case.