Do i upgrade my camera body or my lens?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Crack The Sky, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Crack The Sky

Crack The Sky New Member

Equipment:
    Canon
    Hi all, im Mark.,

I would like peoples opinions on what i should upgrade.
    Currently i have:
    Canon EOS 750D body
    Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 STM lens
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS STM lens
    Canon EF 18-35mm (its been modified for ultra macro so i am not sure on the exact zoom range)
    Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 APO telephoto macro lens

Im not sure what i should upgrade, do i upgrade my camera body to a Canon 5D mk II or a similar full frame body and keep my current lenses, or do i keep everything i have now and invest in a new lens? (something like a Canon 24-105mm L series lens)

I mostly take wildlife/landscape photographs but i do alot of macro photographs too so a Canon 100mm f2.8 L series lens is also something i am considering. I use the video mode on my current camera occasionally, but my phone has a pretty good camera with good recording ability so thats not a major concern.
    I will have about £400-£600 or so as a budget.

I've seen comparison reviews between the camera bodies (750D and 5D mkII) but i dont understand if the full frame of the 5D will be any use to me? Is it even an upgrade? And it should be said that my 750D is fully working without fault.

Thanks in advance

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The 5d2 in my opinion would be an upgrade to a better built body with a better feature set an weather sealing, so it is a definite upgrade from a digital rebel. My only concern is how much mileage it has on it, I can tell you that the mk3 was hardly an upgrade so you can save money there and get a 2 instead. the 100mm L would be a great lens and a good choice for macro. Its a hard choice as your a bit limited on options with that price range. Most your lenses will work on full frame but all of them are consumer grade and you may want to look holistically on what you want to have as a lens kit long term and rank them and the new body as to what would be priority. You also mentioned landscape so long term a full frame may be a good investment to get the most out of the wide end of your lenses.

3. Crack The Sky

Crack The Sky New Member

Equipment:
    Canon
    Thanks for the advice!
    Im still trying to figure out what i like photographing the most and do my lens kit accordingly so at the moment I've kinda got abit of everything i guess even if it is all basic level haha. I'll buy all the upgrades i want over time, just trying to figure out whats more important for progression at the moment, so far i think the 5D mkII is the way to go, i would sell my 750d body to get back a bit of the cost of a 5D mkII too

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Both of them are petty solid cameras for the ~$450 used price point they have. I would suggest long term thinking backup body as a good idea as you never know, but you could probably pick up a 60d or 7d for 200 bucks i bet. I would have to check the market pricing but there are lots of options if you want to have a backup camera around. I never sold my 20d by the time i didn't hold it for being a backup there was no reason to get rid of it for the price it would bring in.

5. Crack The Sky

Crack The Sky New Member

Equipment:
    Canon
    I've recently seen canon 750D's sell for around £300 here with the ef-s lens, i will sell my ef-s lens with it and i have all the CD's and manuals in the original box, along with 4 batteries, 2 chargers, 3 or 4 SD cards up to 128gb and a few other bits, i hope to get around the same price for mine and a good 5DmkII is around £400-£500 so i wouldn't be spending to much on the 5DmkII overall it will leave me some money to get any extras i need that i don't get with the camera when i buy it (e.g. a battery pack)

6. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    as the Mark does wildlife and macro would a mirrorless crop sensor be a choice worth considering?

7. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D,350D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses.Mamiya universal press camera and 4 lenses, Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 5 lenses, Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Hi. Mark, welcome to the forum, your are already well setup. Looking between the lines of what you a written, your decision is keep the crop C camera or use a full frame camera.
    Take your lenses down to a good camera store and ask to try them out on what camera they have there, See what you are comfortable with and what suit you. Remember this is a investment and it's no good purchasing something that you will feel uncomfortable with later.
    Like many others, my personal opinion will suit my needs, but may not suit yours. Take a bit of time too check things out,