DPP will not edit

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by trlange, Sep 5, 2023.

Tags:
  1. trlange

trlange New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R5
    My DPP4 (latest version 4.18.0.0) cannot edit anymore. It does not react when I press the Edit image button and Ctrl-right arrow moves to next picture just as Alt-right arrow does rather than enter edit mode.
    I have uninstalled the program and reinstalled it but it makes no difference. Apparently the uninstall does not remove everything because the re-installed version "knew" which folder I was working in, but I don't know if that is important.
    The Quick Check button does not work either and once I have pressed the Edit button it becomes grey/inactive. Also, it is not possible to select more than one photo
    I have used DPP for ages and I don't quite understand how it can stop working in this particular way. I hope somebody can help

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023

2. Thumbnail

Thumbnail Active Member Site Supporter

You have my respect @trlange . Anyone that uses DPP for editing must have the patience of Job because in my opinion is the worst image editor I have ever seen - but of course that is personal. I recently installed DPP4 V 17.20.0 because I needed access to a particular lens profile in an image. The first thing I noticed was that almost all of my files with the .tif suffix were shown with the big question mark sign and the message 'Cannot Import Image' - what the heck!!! I spent 10 minutes with the software and then uninstalled it.
    All I can suggest in your case is to uninstall the software (refer to the Canon website for the correct way to do this) and then delete all the cookies you can find that have a Canon reference. Then reinstall the software. If this doesn't solve your problems than I would visit their website and ask their support people. Hope this helps and may I suggest you check out FastStone Image Viewer, it's free and has amazing capabilities.

Edited spelling.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
  3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i only use DPP for the cull prosess after down loading, it does make for a good image viewer, as for editing i used to have photoshop 5 on my old macbook 2015, killed it and couldnt run it on the new 2021 macbook (though i could if i partitioned the 2TB storage) so bought photoshop elements 2022 as a one off payment, so far its done everything i need