Driver is unavailable - Canon TS5300 series / Chromebook OS

Discussion in 'Post Processing, Printing, and Scanning' started by Pedro21, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Pedro21

Pedro21 New Member

Hey there,

I've been having troubles with connecting my Chromebook to the printer mentioned in the title.
    When I try connecting the pritner through the "Printes and Scaners" settings in windows, the printer does connect but, says "Driver unavailable". And when I try to print anything the comptuer says "Printer is offline" although my printer is on and connected to the same network as the computer.

I've found a work-arround to this issue, that being going into "Device manager > Pritners > Update driver > Browse my computer drivers > Let me pick from a list of available drivers on this computer > and selecting general printing device instead of Canon TS5300 series" which works as a permanent fix, I can print the documents, but everytime I turn-off and turn-on back the computer, the driver is set back to the original. So as you probably understand, it tends to get annyoing having to go through that procces again and chaning it up everytime I desire to print.

A few information that might help you, help me: I've updated the printer to the latest version, I've updated windows to the latest version, made sure both devices are connected to the same network, tried installing the drivers from the offical cannon website (Realized those aren't availabe for Chromebook users tho)

I appreciate your help in advance!
    Kind regads,
    Pedro.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I am limited help here as I don't have a Chromebook to speak from experience. But Chromebook support is limited because it is not Windows, it is essentially a google chrome tablet with a keyboard because it is running the google chrome operating system. According to the chrome support link on the canon site I shared with you in your last thread, https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/7225252#zippy=,use-the-advanced-setup-process you need to save the printer to the chromebook "saved printers" I hope that is the missing issue.

Even using windows can be finicky sometimes with printers if you work over the network you need to assign a static IP to the printer if you plan to turn it off, or the setup will have to re-run in that case as well.

3. Pedro21

Pedro21 New Member

Hey there John,
    much appreciated for all your help, but unfortunately I have not been able to solve this issue.

I already tried connecting to the printer via the guide setup you sent in this and my previous thread and altough I did succesfully connect. The printer is always shown "offline" so whenever I try and print something the printer is just offline.

Unfornutely even my little trick stopped working on me, so now I'm unable to print at all.

I've unnistalled all of the drivers ande conected to the printer via TCP/IP Device which installed all of the proper drivers, but still nothing.. I finally tried Windows troubleshooter which led me to these 2 messages.

Attached Files:

4. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    That looks like windows, I thought you were troubleshooting a chromebook..and thats why I shared the tutorial. If your running windows 10 on your laptop thats whole different set of troubleshooting.

Do you have windows somehow running on a chromebook???? Because then all bets are off windows is not supported on a chromebook.

5. johnsey

Equipment:
    Based on the images of windows I can be 99% sure the issue is your IP. If you setup a device in say windows the drivers tie it to the printer using the IP address. If you shut off the printer and turn it back on your router is setting a new IP so the computer will never find the printer at that 192.168.115.1 like it said in the screen capture that it was looking for because now it is maybe x.x.115.25 or some other random IP. You can set a fixed IP for that mac address inside the router and that should fix the issue. This is a technical configuration problem, not so much a problem with your printer & driver and the device your printing from.

6. Pedro21

Pedro21 New Member

Hey there John,

First off a big apology on my side, this is a Windows issue not a chrombook. I don't know how I even managed to mix these two up, an honest mistake, I even feel embarrassed and I'm really sorry about your frustration.

I setup my IPv4 adress/ subnet mask and def. gateway on my printer to match my routers ip configuration and manually added the printer static IP adress and MAC into the router. After succesfully conecting to the printer via adding the printer using the IP adress. My laptop still seems not able to find the printer. Just says "printer satus: error" now.

Thank you for all the help so far!

Attached Files:

7. johnsey

Equipment:
    Drivers should be re-installed after the IP is static. Windows is still remembering the old IP address.

8. Pedro21

Pedro21 New Member

I'm gonna guide you through my steps.
    Printer: Menu > Device settings > Lan settings > Wi-Fi > Advanced > TCP/IP settings > IPv4 > manually input the information of the router Laptop: cmd > ipconfig > ping 192.168.31.145 (if it's free to use) > after setting up the printer > Printers and scarnners > add a printer or a scanner > the printer that I want Isn't listed > add printer using IP adress > TCP/IP device > fill out 192.168.31.145 > install drivers > replace current > printer added succesfully - print test page > Nothing prints, printer is offline
    Router: add the printers adress 192.168.31.145 with it's MAC adress to the DHCP static IP assignment pannel

Wireless Direct ip adress is: 192.168.115.1 - Is it possible that the printer has DHCP? And is trying to give itself ip adresses?
    Wi-fi ip adress manually set to: 192.168.31.145

9. johnsey

Equipment:
    Well i have never had luck forcing windows to find the device and add it via a generic windows driver.

I would only use software and drivers from canon. Us site lists as 5320 but driver pack is labeled 5300 as it applies to multiple variations of that series. I was very focused on making it work on your Chromebook if possible. But windows can be finicky with some devices and only their setup utilities will make things work. For example windows clearly added a printer at that IP, but without the canon driver being installed properly they are not speaking the same language so nothing will print.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/pixma-ts5320
    https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/in...7*MTY3NDEzNzcwNC4xLjEuMTY3NDEzODA0MS41OS4wLjA.
    https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/ap.../ts5300-series-driver-setup-package-(windows)

10. Pedro21

Pedro21 New Member

Hey Johnsey,
    After downloading doing everything suggested through the links you sent me, I've managed to fail once again. I took a picture of the printer's device settings for you to have a look if you manage to find something.
    After that you may find a series of print screens of each individual setup page through the official canon driver. It seems to find the printer everytime, but once it gets to "setting it up" it always goes to "connection failed". Altough everytime I select the printer, it says "setting up" the printer itself says "Wireless conneciton established".
    I've ordered a USB-C 2.0 to USB-B Printer 2A Cable to connect the pritner and my laptop the oldschool way and hopefully get my printer up and running through a binding cable.

Attached Files:

11. johnsey

Equipment:
    https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Tutorial/TS5300 series/EN/TRL/trl-5007-a.html
    can you confirm if this is what your doing? I have only had wireless success with WPS setups, so i am flying blind on this here were you log into the router.

Based on the setup instructions for windows, seems you need to connect to the wireless printer after starting setup (linked download), then connect through one of several methods, and based on the step steps it will return you to complete setup with the application you downloaded. (see step above) Its hard for me to test this without owning your printer.
    https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanua...tml?lng=en&type=setup&area=us&mdl=TS5320&os=w
    step 1 setup on computer,
    Step 2 follow connect printer to router
    step 3 return to printer setup

I would say if you can try using WPS instead of wireless credentials as I have had much better luck with WPS. MY MG series has worked flawlessly using WPS. Also I have found with my Pro-100 that it likes to establish proper wireless after the printer was setup using USB first for the first half of the setup. Some printers can be very finicky with windows and recognizing the device.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  12. Pedro21

Pedro21 New Member

No, I'm using the wpa/wpa2-psk method.