EOS 250D not turning on battery won't charge

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by KellyL, Dec 21, 2021.

1. KellyL

KellyL New Member

Equipment:
    SL3/EOS 250D
    The other day I went to set my 250D up as a webcam, and prior to doing so, I turned the camera on and it didn't. figuring the battery needed charging - it had been a while since I last used the camera, I placed the battery in the charger. I then set the camera up using an adapter w/a dummy battery, and lo!! it wouldn't turn on.
    24 hours later, the battery still wasn't' charged (the charging light was flashing orange the whole time. I just now tried turning the camera on using the adapter and still no functioning camera.
    I purchased the camera about a year ago while in quarantine. needless to say, I am disappointed. Any ideas/suggestions

2. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    It sounds as though you have multiple problems, the non charging battery could be a battery or a charger fault. I would advise that you buy a new battery first (it doesn't have to be a Canon one a cheaper copy will do). As regards the camera are you sure that you had the battery cover door and the memory card door both closed properly because both of these can stop the camera powering up.

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I second what Ray said here, the camera will not work if the door for the battery and the door for the card slot are not shut.
    Neither the camera or battery should die in a year. But a flat dead battery can have issues coming back to life.
    Another question, are you getting any sign of life with the battery partially charged or the cord in, I think there should be an amber light on camera that flickers even if the cover is not shut indicating the camera is thinking for a sec when you try powering it up, I would have to test my camera when I get home to confirm though.

If your not able to charge a second battery, or get it to operate after checking those doors/covers, I would definitely call canon, there should be a 1 year warranty by the manufacturer, so I would call them and say i just got this at the beginning of 2021 and now months later after not using it, it is dead. They may be able to trouble shoot and figure out if its something they can fix.... If you don't have/give a hard date to go off of they you may be able to get it fixed under warranty.