EOS Rebel T6 - view image number while taking picture?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Craniac, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Craniac

Craniac New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6, EFS 55-250 lens
    Hi there,
    I am pretty brand new to this project camera, and using it for photo ID of humpback whales. I would like to be able to see the image number as I am shooting, so that I can make a voice note (on a separate recorder) of which group of whales the photos belong to. I don't have a GPS attachment, so taking notes while putting in markers on my GPS while trying to keep track and photograph animals that surface without warning and only for a few moments...seems to be impossible when there are a lot of whales in all directions. The camera screen only shows the number of shots remaining before the card fills up, not the image number. When you press the image playback button the image number is displayed, but when I don't have time to do that between shots it becomes a problem. Thanks very much in advance for any help. IMG_2629 copy.jpg

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The playback is the only way I can think of to see the image number, its been like that showing full screen images for any digital i have used. The thing working in your favor is that they numbers are sequential so you can use playback when you have a second to double check but otherwise you will need to count your shots from the last number you referenced. Which I am sure you already thought. There may be a way to see it on the phone if you tie your camera in with the phone app, honestly I have no idea as i never used it.

Craniac likes this.
  3. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    I haven't seen a way to display the image number in any of my Canons so I think your chances are slim. Some let you take a "snap" while recording in video mode and they've now dropped that as well.
    Your image is really good to the eye - what I would class as minimalist. Good single colour shades throughout and the main subject popping out. A little grain though in the blues but if I do have one negative, its the horizon. It's only .2 degrees out but because the image is far from busy and there is only the main subject, it visually seems exaggerated. You have removed the Exif Data so I can't offer any CC with your settings. Keep doing what you're doing, good work, I like this one.

Craniac likes this.
  4. Craniac

Craniac New Member

Equipment:
    Thank you, I will look into the phone app.

5. Craniac

Craniac New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks, good to know that I can rule it out at least. Do you mean that I should adjust the horizon in the image?

6. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Horizons in all images IMHO should be level. It's something that I notice as soon as I look at an image - I don't mean to, it's just the way I am. Your image is almost perfect but leaning down to the right by the smallest of margins. It's easily fixed in software available these days so to me it's no big deal. What editing software do you use?

7. Jim Lee

Jim Lee Member

Equipment:
    EOS1DXmkII, EOS1DXmkIII, EOS5DmkIV, EOS7DmkII, EOS5DSR. EF800mmF5.6, EF100-400mm F4.5-5.6 ISII, EF70-200 F2.8
    If you are making the voice notes as you take the photos you could speak the time the photo is taken and then on playback you would be able to compare the timestamp for the image to the spoken time on the voice recording.