Equipment Question

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by our3boys1972, Oct 30, 2021.

1. our3boys1972

our3boys1972 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 60D
    Mix of Canon, Tamron and Sigma Lenses
    Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong area, have just signed up today and yet to have a really good look around.

I have joined to ask a group of Canon users some advice regarding the upgrading of my camera gear (I am in the fortunate position of being able to put together a wish list for a birthday that is looming).
    I currently have an almost ten year old 60D which has been amazing, used with a variety of Canon, Tamron and Sigma lenses. I love it but am also ready for some new technology. These days I am mostly shooting nature with a few family photos in the mix. Birds and whales are the primary focus - and whatever creatures or scenes that nature provides me with while out and about.

I am thinking of the 80D for the next body - have heard great things about this - and don't feel I need a hugely big upgrade in the body. My question is more around the lens to go with it, I am happy with what I have and will most likely continue to use those in some situations. I am however thinking something along the lines of a 100-400mm with an extender, what should I be looking at, I want something a little lighter than my 100-500, but would also still like to be able to get a reasonable reach.

I would like to be able to provide my hubby with a Canon list (dream list) and potentially some other brands to ensure some cost comparison (most likely more affordable list) if that is an okay question to pose in this group.

I look forward to seeing what recommendations you all offer, I am based in Australia if this is of any help with any recommendations.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    No easy answer here, I would probably hold off on the 100-400, now i would suggest that lens over the 100-500 in general as I would rather put an extender on that lens. You 500 is quite slow at f7.1. If you get an extender you will loose another stop or two of light and be getting down to f8 to f11 range. Auto focus will have issues working if at all.
    • An f4 500mm prime would do the trick of being used with an extender but that lens used is 3k.
    • The RF mount has a few long lenses like a 600 or 800 mm prime, those are slow lenses at f11 but work with the auto focus on the r bodies.
    • You could always consider a super zoom like the Nikon p1000 bridge camera when you really need the zoom.
    • Another good thought is inspired by my recent pickup.... You could just get a ton of megapixels and crop where you fall short on reach. I added a 5dsR to my gear because they are clearing house on these at only $1500 and at 50mp you could crop quite a bit, so maybe that's the upgrade body to think about, the 80d is about as old and a generation behind.
    Like i said no easy answer: Long lenses get spendy and heavy, Extenders need a fast lens to work well with auto focus, You can upgrade to the mirror-less tech and adapt old lenses, giving you some new lens options.

I would get an extender first, my first reaction would be that the 5.6 of the 100-400 would be better if you need to add an extender, but I found this video that makes that argument more difficult to make the decision. All this said I don't have any lenses that long, I usually shoot wide :)
    https://fstoppers.com/reviews/compa...45-71l-usm-ef-100-400mm-f45-56l-ii-usm-558255

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    as you haven't mentioned a budget and you mention dream list with nature and wildlife in mind body wise i would be looking at the R5, there is a but though, myself i have the M50 and shoot alot of wildlife with sigma 100-400 and 150-600, i too would have the R5 as my dream list camera, which brings me to the but,
    the file sizes from raw wildlife are going to be big and quite alot of them as well so though i could afford the R5 or could put it on my dream list it would also mean upgrading my post shoot gear like my computer and storage.

have you considered the 90D over the 80D? i haven't had any experience with any other camera other than the M50 but looking at the specs of the 80 and 90 from a wildlife point of view the 90 has the digic 8 processor where as the 80 has the digic 6 and the 90D has 32mp, something i think would make a good wildlife camera,
    i had looked at both the 90D and the M6 mkII as an additional body for their mp, i still prefer the form of my M50 though, if you are staying with the type of system you like ie dslr over mirrorless would the 90d be an option?

Lens wise i'm happy with my sigma lenses (100-400 & 150-600), i would like to get the higher end canon pro wildlife lenses but i know i cant afford them yet so i havent done any research on those so i don't feel i can justify an suggestion on those, i will say though if you can get the fastest one you can in the 400-600mm range, i do use teleconverters with my lenses but mostly its for moon and planets.

getting closer to your subject is worth a lot more in quality than extra reach, no matter how good the lens is and huge zoom ranges it cant overcome heat haze and atmospheric conditions,

4. our3boys1972

our3boys1972 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 60D
    That is some really great information thank you so much for taking the time to reply - I have made an error in my post, I will be looking at the 90d rather than the 80 - the 80 would have been my go to a few years ago.

5. our3boys1972

our3boys1972 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 60D
    Thank you for taking the time to reply - yes, I should have typed 90d rather than 80d! You make some great points about shooting in nature and file sizes etc. At this stage I don't think I will go for mirrorless. Budget is important and am hoping I can come across a deal or two in the next few months.

6. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D,350D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses.Mamiya universal press camera and 4 lenses, Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 5 lenses, Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, I know less about new lenses and cameras as all my gear is dated. My suggestion is go along to a camera store and have a look at what is available, if you need a long lens, having one that needs a two times extender will greatly add to the cost, some cost as much as a lens. As Johnsey said you will loose one to two stops of light. Any lens over 300mm will need a tripod mount due to the weight. A 500mm F 4.0 prime is worth a look. If cost is a factor, there are some nice secondhand lenses around, your local camera store would be a good source of what is around, all the best with it. Craig S.

7. our3boys1972

our3boys1972 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 60D
    Thank you, appreciate the words of wisdom, unfortunately our nearest camera stores are minimum 2 hours away, so will most likely be purchased online. My sigma is second hand (from a local photographer), and it is a great work horse, mostly for the land based whale photography it is on a tripod, sometimes a monopod and handheld mostly for birds. I'm not sure I am overly confident purchasing secondhand, but it's not off the cards. Thanks again!

8. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    when you mention whale photography that rung a bell, i think i replied to a post of yours on facebook?, (Laura Packard on facebook)

welcome to the forum also,
    whales......when i was at the zoo i took the 100-400mm and it was great on everything except the giraffes, makes me wonder, could you get away with a 50mm lens on the whales, just get a bit closer..............,:D