ERR40 on Canon 7D

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Damian Carter, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Damian Carter

Damian Carter New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 7D, Canon 40D
    Hi All,

I have a couple of issues with my camera equipment

1. Canon 7D showing ERR40
    2. Canon 24-105 lens showing ERR01
    3. Canon 10-22 lens body movement by focusing ring, moves a good 2 or 3 mm

The latter considering the cost of those lenses seem like I should just send them in and get fixed but the Canon 7D is now 10 years old and many thousands of photos later. One place Fixation refused to look at it saying they cannot get parts anymore an I can see second hands ones in similar nick for £150-200. I anticipate anyone even accepting it will charge north of £100 easily.

Time for a change up?

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I think it sounds like a good plan.

What do you have in mind for an upgrade?

Gary

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    How much effort did you put into cleaning contacts? Are these intermittent or all the time? Err40 is a battery error, your battery could be toast or just the contacts inside or out are dirty. Same with the err 1 on the lens that is a err with communication to camera, seems it on the lens side if the 10-22 is not exhibiting it.? Id give the contacts a complete cleaning and see if you can get a cheap replacement battery.

With the 10-22 does it take proper photos even with the focus ring issue? Or is it just toast? They seem to 200 refurbished which is probably what a repair would cost. Also you want to figure out your next body before replacing lenses.

I agree the 7d is probably a bit long in the tooth and an update is in order, i just think you still have a chance to salvage it as at least a backup option. The 23-105 could work fine on another camera, that err1 is kinda a sticky issue and can behave differently than you expect when testing between lenses and bodies.

4. Alfred Pennyworth

Alfred Pennyworth New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Mark IV
    Err 40 clearly means a power malfunction has been detected. Try the basics, turn off the camera, wait for a few minutes, and turn it on. And, remove and clean the contact points of the camera battery. You can clean the battery terminals with a cotton swab. Make sure they are charged and then reinsert them in the camera.