Error 01 possible firmware bug

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Lucas Marques, Aug 17, 2023.

1. Lucas Marques

Lucas Marques New Member

Equipment:
    Canon M6 MKII
    EF-S 17-55mm OS
    I have been having a problem with my ef-s 17-55mm on my M6 MKII body, it´s giving me the error 01 faulty lens communication what is interesting is that it only happens on my specific M6 MKII body, so OS and autofocus don´t work.
    I have sent my body to a canon repair center since it´s still covered by the warranty, they said it all was fine.
    Has this ever happened to someone out there? And if so what did you try to fix it?

2. Joey Williams

Joey Williams Member

Equipment:
    Sony Alpha 77
    Yes, I have heard of this happening to other people. The error code 01 on a Canon lens usually means that there is a problem with the communication between the lens and the camera. This can be caused by a number of things, including:
    • A dirty or damaged lens mount
    • A loose or damaged lens contact
    • A faulty lens firmware
    • A faulty camera firmware
    In your case, it seems that the problem is isolated to your M6 MKII body. This suggests that the problem is either with the camera's lens mount or firmware.

Since you have already sent your camera to Canon and they said that it is fine, I would try the following:
    1. Try cleaning the lens mount on your camera with a soft, dry cloth.
    2. Try updating the firmware on your camera. You can download the latest firmware from the Canon website.
    3. If you have another Canon camera, try using your lens on that camera to see if the problem persists. This will help you to isolate the problem with the lens or the camera.
    If you have tried all of these things and the problem is still not fixed, then you may need to send your lens to Canon for repair.

I hope this helps!

3. Lucas Marques

Lucas Marques New Member

Equipment:
    Canon M6 MKII
    EF-S 17-55mm OS
    Hey, thanks for your help!
    I have tried all of the things you mentioned and none have worked, i also used my lens on a different m6 mkII body and it works just fine...
    But other lenses work on my m6 body, it´s really a weird problem and a real bummer.