Errr 1

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Mazzman, Sep 4, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Mazzman

Mazzman New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 70D
    Hello all,

I'm new to this forum so I'd like to introduce myself.

I live in East Sussex and am a keen amateur astronomer. I've dabbled in photography, since the old B&W film days, done a spot of film processing and have now progressed into the digital age with the purchase of a Canon EOS 70D DSLR, from a charity shop, of all places. The intention of this was to arm myself with another way of photographing the night sky as I currently only have a dedicated astro camera that is best suited for the planets. However, annoyingly, this 70D, although well looked after, with a shutter count of only 5005, posts the error code ERR 1, so it's not communicating with any EOS lenses. Fortunately, this isn't an issue with astrophotography as it will be the camera body only when attached to the telescope. When using any lenses it will be at full aperture with no auto focus. I would of course wish to use the camera for its intended use so it would be nice if I could clear this error. I know the dodge/s of twisting the lens slightly or taping over the pins, so one can then take pics at least. However, full functionality isn't really realised. My question....is the only answer sending the camera to Canon, and if so, what kind of cost would be involved? I have tried other lenses that are known to function on other cameras, and I get the same result, so it is definitely the camera that is at fault.

Thanks

Mazzman.

2. Thumbnail

Thumbnail Active Member Site Supporter

For a camera that could be up to 10 years old that is a suspiciously low shutter count Mazzman and the error code is probably the reason it was in the charity shop. I'm sure you've done the usual things such as gently cleaning the lens and camera contacts and trying it with different EOS lenses etc and a repair would seem to be the only solution if you can find someone to do it. Unfortunately the cost of such a repair, assuming it is found to be repairable, would probably cost as much as a second hand camera, I notice that MPB have one for sale at £219 - I doubt that you would get a repair done for less. Sadly, such faults are common with the older generation of digital cameras.

3. Mazzman

Mazzman New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 70D
    Yep, you've summed it up!

I think I can live with the camera for how it is but I'm not really blaming the charity shop, I'm blaming the guy donating it to them, obviously knowing full well that the camera was faulty. My gripe is that for about 70 quid more I could probably have sourced a fully functioning one from the numerous buy and sell camera sights.

We live and learn.

4. Alfred Pennyworth

Alfred Pennyworth New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Mark IV
    Err 01 means the contact points between the lens and the camera are not properly placed. I would suggest clean the contacts between the camera and lens using an air blower a soft-bristled brush, and a microfiber cloth. Remove the dirt, dust, fingerprints, oil, smudges, etc., from the lens. You can also use DSLR lens cleaning fluid to clean.

5. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    one way to mayke use of the camera to some degree would be getting an M42 to ef mount adapter and use vintage M42 mount lenses as they are fully manual, for sure its not making use of any AF or other stuff the camera is capable of but you should still be able to take some images,
    an adapter and a good M42 fast prime shouldn't cost more that £40 and thats allowing for around £30 for the lens and £10 for the adapter, You might need to find a setting on the menu "release shutter without lens" but that might not be nessecery, i know i had to do that on my M50 but i think some of the older Dslr bodies do it already

Thumbnail likes this.
  6. Mazzman

Mazzman New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 70D
    Thanks, but I tried that intially, but to no avail. I have also found since that the 18/55mm lens that came with the camera works properly on my friends Canon DSLR, so the camera is at fault somewhere. Cleaning the camera's contacts makes no difference.

7. Mazzman

Mazzman New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 70D

Thank you, but there's a snag with this I think?

I have already bought a s/hand manual Sigma 75 to 300mm zoom lens that has a Canon adaptor. It fits properly, and clicks into place. The iris is manual so one can alter F/ratio. Trouble is, Canon must have made some design changes with the modern DSLR as I am unable to achive a focus at infinity! It would seem that with the adaptor, the lens sits too far from the camera body? I cannot see any way round this.

8. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    the M42 mount lenses have no electrical connections, so as long as the camera can still release the shutter you'll be able to use any M42 mount lens as long as you have the M42 to ef adapter, with yours i think it will just be a thin adapter plate and if it is get the one marked as "flanged" this flange pushes against the pin that sticks out of some vintage lenses

lets see a picture or web link to the adapter

Mazzman likes this.
  9. Mazzman

Mazzman New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 70D
    20230928_201326.jpg 20230928_201443.jpg 20230928_202015.jpg 20230928_202025.jpg 20230928_202030.jpg
    Yes, I understand about the fact that lenses with no electrical connections (manual) are the type to use, but thanks for your pointer re the adaptor required.

As requested, here are some pics of the said lens complete with the Canon adaptor flange. 20230928_201326.jpg 20230928_201326.jpg 20230928_201326.jpg