How to faster download videos than through wifi?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Rafi, May 5, 2023.

1. Rafi

Rafi New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS_M200
    I know the camera has a memory card - is there a way to connect it directly to the computer and speed up the process? I don't know if my machine has a input for the card; is there an adapter? Downloading the videos takes almost three times as long as the videos themselves.

I realize this is an incredibly basic issue that could apply to any number of cameras. Any help will be appreciated.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Yup that is accurate, there are two primary methods which can be used to directly download files. This would also apply to DSLRs as well and the only difference may be that the card adapter would be CF card to USB.

1. Use the EOS software and connect camera via USB
    2. Put the SD Card in a card reader in the computers USB port. SD is directly is the fastest transfer method, Always copy from, don't change the card.

Looks like they are listed on page 476 of your user manual.
    https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/4/0300036364/01/eosm200-ug-en.pdf

3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    on my M50 the cable from camera to macbook is alot lot faster than wifi, putting the card in a reader or straight into the macbook is faster still.
    for me i just do stills so i'm happy to wait a few mins for the wifi, if i got any vids then i'll use the cable, my gf doesvideo so she uses the slot in the macbook (2021)

since i hardly ever take the card out of the camera i've never formatted it in 3 1/2 years as its not getting cross contaminated, probably saving a bit of wear and tear on contact pins too

4. Joey Williams

Joey Williams Member

Equipment:
    Sony Alpha 77
    Yes, you can connect the memory card from your camera directly to your computer to speed up the download process. You can do this by using a memory card reader that is compatible with the type of memory card your camera uses. There are many card reader options available on the market, and they can typically be found at electronics stores or online retailers.

To use a card reader, you simply remove the memory card from your camera and insert it into the appropriate slot on the reader. Then, plug the card reader into your computer's USB port and the computer will recognize the memory card as a removable storage device. You can then transfer the video files directly from the memory card to your computer, which should be faster than downloading them over Wi-Fi.

You can buy an external card reader that connects to your computer through USB if your computer doesn't already have one. These card readers are frequently compact and transportable, making them simple to bring along while you're out and about.

Overall, using a memory card reader can be a simple and efficient way to transfer video files from your camera to your computer, and it can be much faster than relying on a wireless connection.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023