I dropped my camera, should I worry about this dent?

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Mary, Feb 16, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Mary

Mary New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Rebel T6, 18-55 mm and 75 - 300 mm
    Hi, I recently dropped my camera, a rebel t6, accidentally and it landed on the lens (18-55 mm). It had a filter so it took the hit and broke, the lens seems to be fine and the photos seem okay with no issues but I have this dent. Should I worry and get a new one or would it survive scrnli_16_2_2024_1-37-17 p- m-.png scrnli_16_2_2024_1-37-08 p- m-.png ?

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    There are a few of ways at looking at this.

You could pick up a replacement lens. They are reasonably easy on the pocket and easy to find.

Or you could live with the dinged lens if it works fine, and there is not any noticeable deterioration in the image quality. So long as you are happy with it.

You could also get a little curious, and see what happens if you put a little pressure and see if you can push the plastic back in place. Just remember that you could do some damage to the lens if you try this.

Does the lens cap still click on and stay in place?

Gary

3. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    The front ring with the writing on is just a self adhesive label that covers 3 adjusting screws for the front lens element. If you use a small sharp object like a tiny flat screwdriver or even a pointed knife then you can lift the label off the plastic housing. You will then be able to see what the problem is. (the label sticks back on easily)
    I suspect that the plastic housing may have broken around one or more of the screws, if this is so then the lens is really only scrap as a misaligned and loose front element will cause distortion and focusing problems.

Although it is a bit late to tell you but a lens hood would have given you far more protection than a filter.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  4. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    as ray say, hoods protect the front way more than a filter, filters can get stuck in the lens when damaged too, and the reason filters break on a slight knock is they are made from thin glass.

if the lens is working fine then it should be ok, the items that are more likely to be damaged in a dropped lens are the internals, motors and element alignment

put the lens on a tripod and do a critical focus test, see if its still producing a sharp or the best it was before image on fine text
    you should do this test on any lens you buy, new or second hand so you know its good and what its capable of
    use the 2 or 10 sec timer to eliminate camera shake

also as its a dropped lens use this image/ chart to see if any of the elements are out of alignment, you can use the chart in full screen on you comp or print it,
    focus on the center dot then defocus the lens, if the black dot pulls to one side as you defocus something not right lens star chart.jpg

i use a paracord wrist strap, its a one piece through out, if you get bumped or drop the lens it lassos around your wrist so it cant fall off
    wrist cord2.jpg