Image Quality Issue with Canon 60D - Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by venonn, Aug 11, 2023.

Tags:
  1. venonn

venonn New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 60D
    Hello Canon Community,

I recently acquired a Canon 60D with a shutter count of around 4000 for my astrophotography endeavors. However, I've noticed significant dead pixel problems in long-exposure shots, particularly evident in images taken at ISO 100 and ISO 3200, as attached.

Is this level of image quality expected for a camera with this shutter count? Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sample Photo Details:
    • 30-second exposure at ISO 100
    • 30-second exposure at ISO 3200
    Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

2. venonn

venonn New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 60D
  3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
  4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    But dead pixels are pretty normal.

Gary

5. Alfred Pennyworth

Alfred Pennyworth New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Mark IV
    Dead pixels in long-exposure shots can be an issue that caused by digital cameras over time, and it's not necessarily connected to the camera's shutter count alone. Dead pixels are individual sensor elements that do not respond to light, resulting in bright or colored spots in images.
    Many digital cameras, including the Canon 60D, have a feature called "Pixel Mapping" or "Pixel Remapping." This feature is to identify and correct dead or hot pixels. Check your camera's manual to see if this feature is available and how to use it. Running a pixel mapping routine might help address some dead pixel issues.

Joey Williams likes this.
  6. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    I don't think Canon even admit this is possible outside of a service centre and I have never seen it mentioned in a user manual.
    Having said that it has worked for me in a couple of cases, the only problem I can see is that once done you cannot undo it.
    Far better for the OP to use the dark frame subtraction method that experienced astro photographers use, that will remove dead, hot and stuck pixels.

7. Daisy Rosys

Daisy Rosys New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T8i (also known as EOS 850D)
    Nikon D5600
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
    Lens cleaning kit
    Camera strap
    External flash
    Remote shutter release
    Another possibility is that the dead pixels are stuck pixels rather than ones caused by the shutter count. Pixels that are persistently on or off are referred to as stuck pixels. They may result from various things, including heat, static electricity, or manufacturing flaws.

You may try a few different things to solve the dead pixels. One is to attempt to remedy problems using a piece of software. Numerous applications are available, including Dead Pixel Buddy and FixMyDeadPixels. These apps use various methods, such as updating the camera's firmware or using heat therapy, to attempt to repair the dead pixels.

8. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    These programs are for dealing with pixels on LCD screens not camera sensors.

9. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    does the 60D have "long exposure noise reduction" in its menus?

on my M50 this takes a second image with the shutter closed then the camera subtracts the noise from the first image, it removes the hot / dead pixels in the process

(edit, looks like it does have it in the menu, best used on lower iso exposures)