Intermittent Auto-Focus with Canon EOS 80D and...

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Tonytee, May 13, 2023.

1. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Canon EF-S 55~250mm, IS, STM Lens.

The problem is: When setting up a shot, I will press the shutter release button half-way which activates the Auto-Focus System. The image will be in focus, however when I decide to change composition and then
    set up again, the lens will not bring the image into focus and the In-Focus confirmation light at the bottom right hand corner is a steady beam indicating that all is good to go. I have tried moving back a bit, thinking I
    may have gotten a little too close, however this maneuver did not work. I continued to attempt to get the image into focus
    and finally after four attempts, the lens brought the image into focus. This has happened a couple of times
    before, but since it seemed to correct itself, I let it go. This time, it took an inordinate amount of attempts
    before the image was brought into focus. Battery was still at 100% and revealed three red bars indicating
    recharge performance. The only change I made was to composition, so no camera, lens changes were made. I wonder how the In-focus confirmation light came on when it was very obvious that the image was way out of focus. Cheers, Tony

Any helpful hints/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D,350D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses.Mamiya universal press camera and 4 lenses, Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 5 lenses, Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I have similar issues with my 60D ant my two favorite lenses, 24-105 and Tamron 28 - 200mm lens.
    I ususally put the lens in manual and focus that way, failling this, with the lens in manual turn turn focus dial so it is well out of focus and then switch the auto switch back into auto focus and then refocus, with such a large adjustment the lens usually refocuses.
    Hope this helps, Caladina or Johnsey is our next best bet as they use newer gear similar to what you use, all the best with it, Tony.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
    Tonytee likes this.
  3. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    Tecnically it shouldn't do this unless the subject distance is the same but it can happen, the easiest way to force a refocus without resorting to manual focus is to point the camera down to the ground and refocus so that you get a large focus shift then refocus again on your subject.

Tonytee likes this.
  4. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Okay, many thanks for your assistance. To add more fuel to the mix, I have an identical, spare lens. Took it out yesterday with it installed on
    my Canon EOS 7D MK II body and the same problem reared its ugly head. So, I believe that Craig is correct when he indicated that it may
    be (like me) an aging process problem. They were in like new condition when I purchased them from my best friend in Summer of 2014 and
    both have had a lot of use. Is this a sign that they are both at the end of their life span?

Again, many thanks. :)

Tony

5. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Thanks very much. Please view my response below. :) Cheers,
    Hope this finds you well.

Tony