January Monthly Challenge - "New Gear"

Discussion in 'Official Photo Contests and Events' started by johnsey, Dec 31, 2023.

1. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Lets do a new gear challenge, pick out some new gear you recently got an find a way to shoot with it that shows its strength.... Example a tilt shift lens for a architectural shot, or a polarizer that removes reflections from water/glass, etc... you get the idea. :) Lets see you put your newer gear to the test.

Again, the rules are simple:
    • Should be be using some canon gear , this is a canon forum after all.
    • Shot with the assignment in mind, go out and shoot something new don't dig up something from the archives.
    • and most importantly have fun.

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    hmmm, might have a problem there, the only 'new gear' i got was one of those lens mugs, but hey, i'm sure i can make it work....................:D
    Happy new year boys and girls and inbetweenies

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D,350D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses.Mamiya universal press camera and 4 lenses, Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 5 lenses, Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Happy new year to you and your partner, Caladina, this is not canon but I needed it to put my lens filters in, cost 7 dollars offf of Ebay. filter wallet.jpg

4. Thumbnail

Thumbnail Active Member Site Supporter

Johnsey wrote'..some new gear you recently got... and.....Lets see you put your newer gear to the test....'

Oh dear, I haven't bought any new Canon gear for a few years and have no plans to do so in the near future so it looks as though I am ruled out of this month's challenge :( unless some 'way-out of the box' thinking is acceptable.;)

5. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    yeah, like you nothing new, nor have i really any need for any thing atm, thinking outside the box we'll have to use some old gear in a way we havent used it before, maybe a longer or shorter lens for something that we'd use the opposite or a light to be the subject rather than light something up,

6. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Newest item you got ... doesn't need to be really recently purchased, just seems like a good time to a challenge like this over the holidays. Feel free to think outside the box. :) Use some gear that's not getting any miles if you like

7. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Okay, that helps as I haven't brought any camera gear for a while now.

Gary

8. Thumbnail

Ok, time to kick-start this lazy brain of mine. :eek:

9. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D,350D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses.Mamiya universal press camera and 4 lenses, Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 5 lenses, Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    This is outside the box a bit but the camera used for the images was a Canon 60D. My new purchase was a Mamiya Sekor 65mm lens and a View finder for the 65mm. The camera being used for the lens is a Mamiya Universal medium format, a 60x90 mm roll film holder is fitted to the camera. I purchased the camera 3 months ago and the lens just arrived last week, 65mm lens in medium format is the equivalent of 28mm in 35mm format. This will enable me to do 60 x 90mm negatives for landscape panoramas
    View attachment 17550 IMG_0082.JPG

10. Thumbnail

This is a photograph of my last two Canon purchases. This 50E is the last of three 50E's I bought and fixed, each of which I paid less than £10 for because the back door latch was broken and the camera disabled. It costs circa £7 per camera to buy a new door latch and about 45 minutes to install it and thus fix the camera.
    The 50mm f1.8 MkII 'Nifty fifty' lens was purchased at a price I just couldn't refuse and it joins its rather older stablemate .
    EOS 50E.jpg

11. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Interesting camera, Keith, I have never seen this variant of the EOS system so I looked it up on you tube and it has a lot of features and a very interesting eye control, some thing Nasa tried to incorporate in their systems but it aparently failed but the eye control is supose to work quite well on the camera.

12. Thumbnail

Craig, this camera has more bells and whistles than Barnum's Circus however, this series of Canons 30, 300, 300v 1000 50E et al, have one fatal flaw - the internal part of the back door latch. The part is made of plastic and as well as the door latch - which is the part that breaks - it also carries a pair of sliding contacts which tell the camera that the door is closed. When the aforementioned internal latch breaks, these sliding contacts don't move to complete the circuit and duct-taping the door closed is useless as the camera still thinks the door is open and refuses to work.
    I have never tried the eye focussing system so I can't comment on that or indeed most of the other functions, but it is a great camera to use and of course takes all of the Canon EF series of lenses. Sadly, I have had to move to auto focus cameras because my eyes are no longer in their first flush of youth and need a bit of help but my A1 and AE1 still get regular outings along with my other brands of cameras and focus is a bit hit and miss.

13. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    This is one of the drawbacks of putting too many features on a camera, the more pipes you put on a crapper, the easier it is to clog up.
    I must admit, I do like th e 1000 model as this was my first decent camera and one I still have,

14. Thumbnail

I have all the cameras mentioned above Craig and the 1000 is the only one I haven't had to repair the latch on. (I have a spare latch just in case ;)) IIRC the body cost me £5 from a charity shop. It's quite small and lightweight too and when paired with a 'Nifty fifty' it makes great unobtrusive walkaround camera.

15. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    dont tell the missus but mpb might have made a delivery................. 85mm of it

16. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    skoda abstract2  ef 85mm.jpg

Canon ef 85mm ƒ1.8 usm
    my first Canon EF lens, been after an 85mm for a while but didn't want to go for the sigma art due to the weight mostly and the price,
    this one was one of the cheaper ones just to test it out, its decent to good for sharpness at ƒ1.8 and gets nice and sharp at ƒ2.2 on wards on my M50
    it certainly fits the main criteria at the moment, cheap and light weight, with good sharpness, i'll test it on a walk about at some point, i'm waiting for a mickey mouse lens hood so i can keep the lens protected and i'll get a proper one if i keep the lens, to which will depend on its keeper rate in the field tests.
    so while i have it i can play this month

17. Thumbnail

Enjoy the lens Caladina. I can't say I've ever hankered after an 85mm prime so I'm interested in your opinion after you've used it for a while.
    Blimey, MPB have got 80 of them listed on their website. :eek: Is this the most un-loved lens in the UK? ;)

18. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    to be honest its not really a prime i needed for anything specific but its where i had a gap between the 56mm ƒ1.4 and 105mm ƒ1.4 as far as fast primes go and i not wanting to go for the sigma 85mm ƒ1.4 art at this time just to fill a gap, sure i expect the sigma art to be better than this one for over all optics but the light weight and cheaper price of the canon 85mm ƒ1.8 is alot more where i wanted the lens to be, the sigma is nearly 3 times as heavy

its a lens i was honestly expecting to send back within a week hence getting it from mpb but it seems to be pretty good so i got the official lens hood now.

the weight thing was important hence previously trying the sigma EX 85mm ƒ1.4, sadly it didn't play well on my M50 firmware, it means i can carry the 85mm when i have a couple of other lenses as well, where as the sigma art would probably be that and one extra efm lens to keep the weight down
    generally i shoot using a shoulder bag for myself if i was doing paid work i'd be more incline to use a bigger bag and bare the weight

the canon certainly passes the clarity test on my text box i use for most lenses.

been converting machine mart tool trolly into a cutting trolly for my plasma cutter so not been out and about too much atm, still on the chilly side too though its been alot warmer last week

19. Thumbnail

Thanks for the update Caladina, it sounds like a good deal.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  20. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    stepping rocks firs farm.jpg

Canon 85mm ƒ1.8
    some stepping stones across a local wetlands water course

Thumbnail likes this.