Jasmine

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by Craig Sherriff, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D,350D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses.Mamiya universal press camera and 4 lenses, Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 5 lenses, Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    IMG_4453.JPG
    This is a image I took to demonstrate the rule of thirds for my class.

2. WaynesPhotos

WaynesPhotos New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 7D
    Hi Craig. I've just joined this forum and not quite understanding what you are showing that follows the rule of thirds. The attached is what I thought was the rule of thirds where the main subject was on one of the 1/3rd lines. Can you explain further please for a newbie? Cheers.
    ROT.jpg

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D,350D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses.Mamiya universal press camera and 4 lenses, Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 5 lenses, Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome Wayne, no problem, You are correct in what you have stated about the rule of thirds. Now this is one of several general rules, another is the one I used for this image, that is rule of odds, where a odd number of elements are in a image. Our mind is key for things to be balanced and if a image is balanced we have a cursory look. Now if there is a odd number we tend to look farther into the image seeking out the balancing object in doing so we scan the entire image, as with all rules it is not hard an fast but a general guide, hope this helps a bit. Any more questions or doubts let me know also on you tube there are some very good video clips on the subject.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021