Lens Data for G7X Mk II for use in DPP4

Discussion in 'Canon PowerShot Series' started by LateJunction, Mar 14, 2024.

1. LateJunction

LateJunction New Member

Equipment:
    Powershot G7X Mk11
    When trying to apply lens corrections to the CR2 images produced by my Powershot G7 X MkII in DPP4, the 'Add or Remove lens data' function - part of the EOS Lens Registration Tool - does not list any lens used on any Canon Powershot capable of creating a raw image. So how does one apply lens corrections?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    That sounds right, Canon has added the profiles for the EOS lenses which are used on their DSLRs cameras. I haven't used DPP in ages but it should have the ability to dial in manually for most editing features you would want to correct.

3. LateJunction

LateJunction New Member

Equipment:
    Powershot G7X Mk11
    Which part of my post sounds right?

Canon Tech Support have now replied to my request for clarification. I'm told that it is not possible to apply lens corrections for Powershot cameras in DPP4 (which are the only 'editing features' I would want to correct, in this context). This restriction applies because the image EXIF data automatically tells DPP4 what lens corrections are required when an image is opened; no further lens corrections are required or possible.

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    well, you cut the rest of the sentence, which explains that your original post was a correct understanding. YOU DO NOT have a DSLR with removable lenses DPP is made for those, the profiles are made for those EF lenses not the point and shoot camera you have with built in lens.
    Sorry for being rather direct and snippy but I tried to nicely say your using a tool not meant for non DSLR cameras.

You should be able to make edits in any photo editor to help correct whatever issues your seeing, it just will not be automatic based on a profile for your camera.