m50 disappointment & solutions

Discussion in 'Canon EOS M Series' started by ali, Jul 9, 2023.

1. ali

ali New Member

Equipment:
    m50 kit lens, viltrox adapter, 50mm canon, tamron 16-300 zoom lens
    Hi all,

I use a m50 which i got for shooting videos and pics. I have been using a viltrox adapter with the canon 50mm (nifty 50) and a tamon 16-300 for more reach. I have been very disappointed with the results.
    - m50/viltrox/50mm lens - my videos are marred by the awful sound of the autofocus shifting. Low light results are awful and grainy. I have managed some decent pics with this setup, but video is awful.
    - m50/viltrox/tamron 16-300 - both video/pics awful and unusable.
    I am a newbie and still using auto settings on the m50 for most work.

How can I get better results from my setup? I use sony vegas for editing and results are worse than my gopro 8/9! This is very disappointing from a canon mirrorless camera.
    What do i need to alter in my setup? I have seen youtube cinematic videos from the m50 with kit lens and 50mm that are superb so i know it is capable of much better.
    Should i get a better lens adapter ?
    Should I scrap the adaptor and get a sigma 16mm f/1.4 dc dn for my m50?

please advise
    Ali

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i have the M50 mk1, had it 3 3/4 years now and picture wise its excellent, video wise its also excellent, but i do very little video myself,
    for sure using auto mode in low light is going to give poor results with a slower lens like the tamron 16-300mm

the ƒ1.4 16mm sigma lens makes for a good wide fast lens for low light video, personally my fav i use with the M50 for low light photography are the canon 32mm ƒ1.4, sigma 56mm ƒ1.4 both efm lenses and the sigma 105mm ƒ1.4 art an ef lens so you'll ned the ef to efm adapter but the lens is very expensive, around £900 second hand !

i shoot mostly wildlife from 18mm to 400 / 600mm and the way i prefer to get there is the canon efm 18-150mm and the sigma ef 100-400mm and 150-600mm, the 100-400mm being my main big wildlife lens as the 150-600mm is more of a tripod lens for me

i prefer the seperation like that so the two main lenses the 18-150 and the big ones have better quality than one lens tring to do all those focals, i also can just take out the smaller one on a quick walk about when i'm doing other non photography stuff

so with wildlife comes the need to shoot full manual, this is because you cant place your subject where you want it like a model so you need to take control when you are shooting outside the best conditions, like in falling light or into the sun or stuff that wont stay still,
    manual is pretty easy to learn, its not as hard as people say it is

that being said just because you don't shoot manual doesnt make you any less of a photographer, what i would say is learning manual will help you better understand what the camera is doing and help you to choose what semi auto mode you may want to use, in all honesty once i had manual exposure sorted (took a few months as a total beginner) i never wanted the camera to do anything other than auto iso, and that was something you can take out of auto very easy in manual mode

for sure full auto mode is only good in good seeing conditions, in its first instance full auto will ramp up the iso and ignore any limitations you try and set it, bad for image quality in low light

try using P mode if you don't want to use full manual as you can set limits to the iso and it will respect them, setting the limit to 1600 in day time while you are learning or 3200 in lower light, when you sorted your exposures and you able to know how to balance the triangle of shutter speed / ƒ stop / iso you'll be able to bring them down to 800 or 400, esp with faster lenses like ƒ1.8 / ƒ1.4

every lens and camera system will run out of light at some point when shooting moving subjects just have to find the limit of you lens and camera and work to those limits, if you shooting a still object a tripod will remove the shutter speed limitation and you can shoot a daylight image in the dead of night with a long exposure

for video specific stuff i'll leave that to others as its not my field for stills in low light and wildlife its more my area of smudging

3. ali

ali New Member

Equipment:
    thank you so much for the very informative reply. I was wondering with the combination of m50-viltrox adapter -tamron 16-300 do i change my lens aberration setting on the m50 as this could be the reason for bad video?

4. ali

ali New Member

Equipment:
    with both the 50mm canon lens and tamron the video footage is ruined by the sound of the autofocus. the tamron is especially bad to unusable.

5. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i think you need to post some samples of the images / video you are getting so the vid guys can check them out,