"Marking" videos on the fly

Discussion in 'Canon EOS R Series' started by POCONOS, Aug 1, 2023.

1. POCONOS

POCONOS New Member

Equipment:
    R10
    I am a new R10 owner. My main use for the camera is to shoot video of my Daughter's soccer games. I don't shoot an entire game, but rather many short clips, keeping only a small fraction of them. My question is, after I shoot a video and know I want to keep it - - is there a button/key combo to mark the current or last video shot as a favorite or to otherwise distinguish it from the others so I don't have to review everything later on?

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D,350D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses.Mamiya universal press camera and 4 lenses, Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 5 lenses, Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forumm Poconos. I usually edit my videos in Photoshop17, there is heaps of info available on Youtube on how to do this only draw back is the cost of the programme but there are heaps of free progammes available such as Filmora video editing this programme is free to download and use, with heaps of youtube how to videos on how to use it. There are heaps of others out there.

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Rating in camera: https://cam.start.canon/en/C006/manual/html/UG-07_Playback_0140.html

4. POCONOS

POCONOS New Member

Equipment:
    R10
    Thanks much for the suggestions. The problem is digging through menus/submenus to get to that function and then browsing/selecting the file I want, confirming the selection, etc, will invariably cause me to miss a lot of the action. I am surprised there isn't some more easily accessible tool that allows you to flag pix/videos on the fly or to save them to a distinct folder. I used to use my phone for video and would simply upload the keepers. But the size of the files makes uploading out of the question. And the upload tool is not much more quickly accessible than the rating tool. Stymied.

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Generally this is part of many of ours workflow in Lightroom, there is a whole module in multiple post processing software programs for this... I never found a good use case for including mobile into my workflow.

Shoot, download, rate, process, export compressed files for web or print.

6. POCONOS

POCONOS New Member

Equipment:
    R10
    Not sure I follow you here. My problem precedes anything “post” whatsoever. It’s something akin to the task of triage in a medical setting. I am getting the impression now that the only way to designate the priority of files on the fly is to synch the time on my wristwatch and camera and then note the time when I record (this is video only) something worth keeping. But that means jotting times time while I’m still trying to keep up with the action. Hardly optimal. Was hoping for more with a ~1K camera body.