R5 IBIS - LENS NOISE

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Doug Wallace, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Doug Wallace

Doug Wallace New Member

Equipment:
    Canon R5 - EF 600MM F/4 V2
    I recently purchased a EF 600MM F/4 Version 2 lens and have it adapted to my R5 - When the image stabilization is turned on the lens, it makes a noise like there is a motor either running or trying to engage and never quits.

I can turn image stabilization off and naturally the noise quits. I've attached the lens to my 90D BODY and have no noise problems, but the 90D does not have IBIS.

Has anyone else experienced this? occasionally I'll get the same thing with my EF 100-400 V2 lens.

Could this be a communication issue between the EF and RF Mount?

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D,350D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses.Mamiya universal press camera and 4 lenses, Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 5 lenses, Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the Forum, Doug. May I suggest you send an enquirey to ether Johnsey or Caladina as they are knowledgeable in this area.

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Doug,

I don't have the same gear you have. But IS uses a motor to act like a gyroscope to remove camera shake, the fact that the body has this on the sensor and your lens has it in the lens, may be causing the additional noise since you have two systems working at the same time, and according to the https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/ibis-with-ef-lenses.39430/ discussion there may be no way around this since your merging two technologies.

I have no way to test trying to disable one and not the other ans see how they function but you can probably play around a bit and see how it works.

4. Crazyal101

Crazyal101 New Member

Equipment:
    7d, 600mm f4, 100-400mm Is, 17m-40mm F4, 135mm F2.8,
    I have V1 versions of both lenses. You do get a very dull clunk and humming noise with both when IS is active. It should be same for whichever body you are using. It could just be level of ambient background noise masking the IS noise.

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I have an RP and an EF 70-200 f4 IS, and I can hear the IS in the lens doing it's thing. And when I switch the IS switch to off on the lens barrel, the IS motor stops, and there is no sound from the lens.

Gary