Sigma 150-600mm 5-6.3 Contemporary DG OS HSM Lens

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Jackie_Olivier, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Jackie_Olivier

Jackie_Olivier New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 550D
    I have a Canon EOS 550D will a Sigma 150-600mm 5-6.3 Contemporary DG OS HSM Lens fit on my camera. And will this be a good lens to take school rugby pictures not professional at all.

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    it should fit, others will confirm this.

as for its viability, though this is one of the lighter zooms in the range its still a weighty lens, i have this and the 100-400mm c,
    side from the weight and size your experience using longer telephoto lenses will matter here, ie if you are new to long lenses there are a couple of things to consider

at 600mm subjects will be quite erratic if you dont have good steady control of the lens esp if you are filling the frame with them, on a tripod you would hugely benefit from a gimble like the benro gh5c to pan and track subjects or have good upper body strength, lifting and carrying the lens is one thing, trying to shoot with it as a newbie could be quite another, obviously apologies if you have had prior experience but its worth pointing out if not

distance, how far away are you going to be, if the weight and size is a concern the sigma 100-400mm c might be the better option, this is going to also depend on that distance, for me at 54 years old ( a retired auto painter used to lifting and holding heavy spray guns out stretched i find the weight an issue of the 150-600mm, granted i may be older and lost a fair bit of strength in the last 10 years.

the image quality of the lens is excellent, i'm using it on a canon M50, the extra 200mm is very much worth it if you are shooting at the long end
    but for me i use the 100-400mm c much much more as a walk about hand held shooter of wildlife

as a side note using the x1.4 x2 extenders will slow down the auto focus so this will be bad for sports where tracking quick movements is necessary, thought i'd mention that incase you see those come up.

if you do get one of the longer zooms remember to take a wide to medium zoom or standard fast prime with you for group or face to face stuff before / after the event

i have quite a few sigma lenses, they work well with the canons

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I would be very curious as to the length you actually need when shooting if your at 200-300 mm most of the time, the 600 is a bit overkill.
    I like the sigma lens as a good fit for shooting long and getting good quality images. Definitely its a good lens in your arsenal.
    For sports I probably would shoot my 70-200 2.8 as its a real fast lens and has IS. The downside would be i max out at 200mm, but at a local school game i cant imagine that's a huge issue. You can also see that my lenses are almost all 100mm or less, long lenses aren't my wheelhouse :D.