Starting All Over Again

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by rickaltman, Mar 29, 2023.

1. rickaltman

rickaltman New Member

One of the most painful Covid casualties was the selling off of all of my camera gear. But it was all in anticipation of this summer and a three-week African safari. So while I have been a Canon user for about 150 years, I also feel like a virgin and am here for first-time-like help. I have two questions in particular:
    1. Mirrorless cameras weren't really a thing when I was last in the game. How do I decide between mirrorless and DSLR?
    2. We'll be in jeeps for hours and I am too old to lug around a huge telephoto lens, so I'll be looking at a zoom lens. Which ones should I look at that would be safari-friendly?
    Many thanks in advance for all advice.

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D,350D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses.Mamiya universal press camera and 4 lenses, Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 5 lenses, Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    May I suggest you check out micro four thirds, small light gear and you can adapt slr lenses if need be.

3. rickaltman

rickaltman New Member

You may! Tell me more, please. In particular, is there a model line for micro four thirds gear?

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I would mirrorless.

If I were you, grab a R7 and a RF 100-500.

Most importantly, have fun.

Gary

rickaltman likes this.
  5. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D,350D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses.Mamiya universal press camera and 4 lenses, Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 5 lenses, Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I am not familier wit the Canon variants but I have a olympus pen mini epm1and two lenses, 2 times extender , a little mini flash, this system is very small and with nice weight . I use it in my photograhy class as one of my ladies has small hands, this camera system suits her, for travelling this would be ideal. My I also suggest you go to a camera shop and see what they have in stock, try what they have in your hand or rent something you are interested in an see if it suits you , this way you do not purchase something you will dislike on your trip.

6. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    spot on there Gary, upto date crop body with an awesome lens, its been a very tempting comb for me to try and avoid, for now i'm happy with what i have, but its definatly a combo to take a serious look at Rick

7. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I agree with considering mirror-less if your starting over, should be generally lighter and more compact. (Be it R5/R6 or R7/R10)
    Also, the RF line will be the focus of canon going forward making my EF lineup and DSLRs eventually the dinosaurs.

On Safari... I would stick to the tried and true L lenses with their weather sealing, RF native would be Ideal on the body but you can always adapt a EF lens as they have an adapter.

8. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I'll be the naughty little devil on your shoulder :D:D:D

Gary