swelling battery

Discussion in 'Canon EOS M Series' started by chris999, Dec 6, 2023.

1. chris999

chris999 New Member

Equipment:
    canon eos m50
    I recently needed to change the battery on my EOS M50 while out and about. I was unable to do this as the battery had become stuck in the battery aperture. On returning home I did manage to remove the battery, although this took some time. I researched this problem and it appears that any faulty batteries can evolve carbon dioxide if they are faulty, causing them to swell.
    The battery in question is just over 4 years old , is a third party non genuine battery, and has been recharged many times. Is this just a problem that can happen with any battery over a certain age, or only the cheaper 3rd party batteries?

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i've been saying for ages if you going to go cheap on battery its far better to get a second hand original canon than 3rd party
    the likes of mpb sell them or very cheap when they have lots in, they only ever sell a body with one battery so the rest build up.

as for the swelling i have heard of a few on facebook its happened to, as yet i havent heard of a canon one swelling but i havent specifically been looking for that info
    my original 4 batteries are 4 years old and going strong, i have acouple i got from second hand body buys and they are unknown age but going well too, one body i bought came with two third party batteries, they went in the battery recycling without me bothering to use them.

for the price of a new original battery its 100% worth getting as they are an item you'll have for 4 years +, probably much more

3. Thumbnail

Thumbnail Active Member Site Supporter

I agree with Caladina. My two 2008 Canon 5D MkII batteries are still working well albeit silghtly below capacity as is my 2012 Powershot SX260 HS battery. The old saying "Penny foolish, pound wise" is sound advice imho.

4. chris999

chris999 New Member

Equipment:
    canon eos m50
    Thanks for that . I've since discarded my other 3rd party battery, and have ordered 2 new genuine canon batteries. By all accounts there are some very good 3rd party batteries, but they cost as much or more than the genuine canon ones