T7i is 7 years old and having issues, should I get it fixed, or upgrade?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by strux, Jun 23, 2024.

1. strux

strux New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Rebel T7i, Canon lenses EF 70/200, Canon EF 16/35 f4L
    I'm increasingly getting the Error 01 code (The communication between the camera and lens is faulty) with both my lenses, so I'm guessing it's the body. Removing the lenses and putting them back on helps for a few shots, but then it's back to the error.

It seems like I just bought that camera , but I bought it in 2017, so it's 7 years old. It's in great shape otherwise. Hardly any wear, but I've read that getting them repaired is expensive, so I'm wondering if I should bother, or just buy a new body?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Lets talk about your general usage of lenses....
    Do you swap them quite frequently? Are the lenses noticeably older than the camera? Is the issue on all lenses or just a specific one?

Here is the deal, the camera has pins that touch the lens contacts. Either side of the connection can be scuffed/brassed/ or just dirty.
    The first simple approach would be to use a small swab and a touch of rubbing alcohol that dries instantly and try to clean the dirt off the pins and contacts. Some people say an eraser helps but i feel that can actually ad abrasion to the brass so be careful. You can watch some youtube on cleaning. You should be able to identify if its a lens or the camera deepening on if it impacts all lenses or not. You probably do not need to change gear, a cleaning is the place to start.

Neither of them should be having communication problems with average use after 7 years in my opinion. Cross my fingers i have not seen this issue even on my old gear yet. Maybe you got some bad luck or there was wear an tear on the mount, its hard to say. Considering sending in for repair will cost a few hundred bucks, I can see the idea of upgrading as the better investment. If you think the camera body is the culprit that is. Also, at that point I would step up from the rebel line and get a more featured filled camera from the mid tier bodies while you are at it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2024