What happened here?

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Conrad, Sep 16, 2024 at 11:01 PM.

1. Conrad

Conrad New Member

Equipment:
    Canon R3, R5 and various lenses
    So I decided to shoot soccer today with my R3 and wanted to shoot my old EF 300 2.8V1. Well, I believe I left image stabilization on while using the monopod. All 1,400 images looked like these. Rain appears to be going east and west as well as north and south. Some ghosting as well. Is my assumption right about the IBIS and EF stabilization on the lens and body having fits? All shot at 1/1000 f2.8 or f3.2. Focus points verified

‘thanks!

Attached Files:

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well 1/1000 is definitely way faster than any need to stabilize hand held blur.
    It definitely seems like the stabilization was on, and the monopod i bet exaggerated the softness across the image, EF IS uses a motor which counter resonates against slow movements on a slow shutter, the motor has some minimal vibration and at a fast shutter speed can introduce blur. The IBIS moves the sensor around, neither need be done with the camera firmly planted and using a very very slow shutter, or real fast shutter, there is a sweet spot where IS helps hand held otherwise it can make it worse.
    I personally can not speak to the in body stabilization on R cameras, my understanding is they work together in tandem on the r series to give you best outcome when shooting slow shutter speeds. I can say I simply would never enable IS unless i was shooting a shutter below the length of the lens for the reason above i mentioned.

3. Conrad

Conrad New Member

Equipment:
    Canon R3, R5 and various lenses
    Thanks for the reply.
    I figured it was that. I had not shot that lens in forever and simply didnt check before i shot.
    :(