When reviewing an image, initially there is no color and no brightness. Canon 80D.

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Tonytee, Jun 14, 2023.

1. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    After taking images the other day I noticed when viewing the images on the back screen that there was no

color, no brightness only a faint view of the image. Waiting a few seconds while viewing the image, the color and brightness appeared. Checked OEM battery and it was at 98% power and settings seemed to be where

I wanted them. This happened on a number of images and then the problem just seemed to disappear.

I recall this happened once a long time ago and has decided to re-appear.

Thanks for any help available. :)
    Tony.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The image was captured just fine ? But the thumbnail on the screen after shooting was not a good example of the image taken at least at first?
    A second the image to pop up display is normal, the faint image is not normal, it sounds like the screen may be starting to go out, you may have a pinched wire or something inside the camera body, its hard to tell why the image display is having issues. This sounds like a hardware issue creeping up which only a technician can fix.

If it was me i would keep shooting with it, save up and get a replacement body and have this as a backup. You can and probably should call canon and see if there is a recall that covers this, but depending on cost to repair ..... lets say $120, i may fix it... but $300+ i would put that money towards a newer body.

Tonytee likes this.
  3. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    Sounds like a poor connection in the wiring between the LCD and the main board. It would need to be dismantled to sort this out so unless it becomes a permanent fault then I would suggest you just leave well alone. Often these sort of problems can disappear once the camera is taken apart which makes it very hard to find where the problem is.

(Johnsey just beat me to the reply !)

4. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.

Greetings there young man,
    I went ahead and called Canon and spoke to a gentleman by the name of Joel. I described my issue and he advised me to reset the camera to factory settings and also to clear all Custom Functions. He has heard of this issue and at times the resets will clear up any features that may be gumming up the works. If this is not a panacea for all ills, the unit will require repair and if I wanted Canon to effect
    the repairs the cost will range from $169.99 all the way up to approximately $499.99 plus shipping and taxes. I have decided to continue
    using the unit (as I do like it a lot) until it becomes a permanent problem and then donate it for parts. I do have the Canon 7D MK II to fall
    back on. Also, Joel indicated that he believes the screen is burning out, but he hope the resets will help delay the inevitable.

Well, many thanks for the helpful hints and suggestions. Greatly appreciated.

P.S. The call to Canon and the help from Tech Support were both at no charge. :)

Tony

5. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Greetings again,

Here is an update. The other day, being a day with harsh sunlight and intense heat, I noticed this problem only occurs with flowers. Anything else I photograph, there was no problem at all. So dealing with colors and brightness not appearing right away tells me
    that a problem with the sensor is suspect. I mean, if the screen were dying on me, it would happen on everything I photograph. I might
    call Canon Tech Support and see what they feel is going on. Thanks for viewing. Tony :)

6. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    back a few months ago when we had the issue over the images (over saturated) etc i was wondering if the camera sensor was to blame, not sure if its that same camera use for those images?

7. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Here is another update and unfortunately, not a favorable one. I do possess two of these Canon EF-S 55~250mm, IS, STM lenses.
    Yesterday while out shooting, I not only used the second lens, but also a different, more recent technology body, the Canon EOS 7D MKII.
    While photographing flowers, the same issue happened on this camera as it did on the Canon EOS 80D. The problem has to be the lenses.

These lenses both now have two problems, one being inconsistent Auto Focus and images not showing up completely at first. I do not know if the gold contacts are wearing out, or other electronics are beginning to die on me. Either way, it appears apparent that the lenses
    are the culprits here. Today I plan on shooting with the Canon EOS 80D, but this time I will use the Canon EF-S 18~135mm, IS, STM lens and see if the problem persists. I will also use the Canon EF-S 18~55mm, IS, STM kit lens and will also report on my findings.

Thanks for reading. I will also contact Canon Tech Support again, explain this new finding to them and see what they believe to be going on.

Tonytee. :)

8. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    likewise it makes for an interesting read and blog on the happenings, watching with genuine interest.
    thanks for sharing tony

9. Thumbnail

Thumbnail Active Member Site Supporter

This may be a long shot but do you mainly take your flower shots in a greenhouse or other cultivation environment that usually comes with a with high humidity? The Canon EF-S 55~250mm, IS, STM are entry level lenses and the weather sealing leaves a lot to be desired so perhaps it's possible that both lenses have succumbed to internal corruption over time due to moisture and re-introducing them to a humid atmosphere triggers an internal breakdown of some description. You say that when you are not shooting flowers the problem goes away so perhaps it is worth considering. Just my thoughts ....

Tonytee likes this.
  10. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Hello Keith and many thanks for your input. I so shoot flowers in bright sunlight and again, taking photos of houses, trees and even some
    wildlife, the issue does not occur. Today I went out shooting with the Canon EOS 80D and a Canon EF-S 18~135mm, IS, STM Lens and
    there were absolutely no problems with any of the gear. Everything went very well. I will post an image now. Cheers, Tony IMG_0129.JPG

11. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
  12. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    DO you have examples of where the issue occurs?

Tonytee likes this.
  13. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Sure. I will upload a few that are still unedited and shot in JPEG. Thnx. TT :) 7M1A6903.JPG
    Canon EOS 7D MK II and a Canon EF-S 55~250mm, IS, STM Lens.
    1/125s, F5.6, ISO 100, Manual Priority Mode with Spot Metering. F/L @135mm.

Thnx for viewing. Tony :)

14. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Same gear. 1/640s, F/5.6, ISO 100, Aperture Priority Mode with CWA Metering. -0.33EV and F/L @250mm. 7M1A6882.JPG

15. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Same gear. 1/40s, F/11, ISO 100, Aperture Priority Mode With CWA Metering. -0.33EV. F/L @143mm. 7M1A6863.JPG

16. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Same gear. 1/640s, F/5.6, ISO 200, Aperture Priority Mode With Multi-Segment Metering. -0.67EV and F/L @250mm. 7M1A6974.JPG

17. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    This thread is getting more and more confusing. If you are still referring to the above problem then it cannot be caused by the lens. All the lens does is focus the light onto the camera sensor it doesn't sort out colours or brightness, this is all done in the camera body. If you are getting the same problem with 2 different bodies then either you have 2 cameras with the same fault or more likely it is something that you are doing.
    Lens electrical contacts only control autofocus, aperture control and information back to the camera about lens settings they have nothing to do with the image.

18. Thumbnail

From what I have read I am convinced the problem is caused by moisture/condensation in the two lenses.

With respect this is not so Ray-UK. Condensation on the surface of lens elements, both externally and internally, can cause havos with the image forming light in both colurs and intensity as I found out to my cost many years ago when moving between hot and cold environments without letting the camera and lens acclimatise plus condensation on a camera sensor can cause mayhem.

See above re: colours and brightness. The OP stated in Post #7 that the same problem occurred when the same lenses were shot on a different camera body. The OP also said in the same post that auto focus on these two lenses was becoming erratic. If the image forming light is affected by condensation on the lens elements then the camera cannot auto focus an already blurred image.

I don't think there can be any doubt that the two original lenses are the root cause of the problem and I strongly suspect that the two original lenses have collected a lot of moisture internally which in turn is affecting the camera bodies they are attached to.

Without conducting a properly structured series of tests on the cameras and lenses I think we are grasping at straws and why the problem only occurs when shooting flowers and causes a delayed display on the back screen (of different cameras?) is anyones guess.

Tonytee likes this.
  19. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    My only question regarding this theory is: If as you stated, both lenses have accumulated a lot of moisture and condensation, then wouldn't the images I have posted here be very soft and flat? These images are Straight Out Of Camera ( unedited). Okay, let's put our
    thinking caps on. It is no secret that digital camera sensors have issues with properly replicating specific colors. i.e., Red, Yellow and White primarily. Both of my Canons have no issues with Orange, Green, Pink, Black and even Gold colors. Red flowers possess a pigment that is invisible to human eyes, but very visible to certain insects such as bees, assassin bugs, flies, etc., etc. Red, Yellow and
    White are colors that are experiencing the issue. So, keeping our eyes on the ball, the issue again is: "Why the delay in flower images
    with these colors, appearing on the LCD Screen?" My next theory I will put in the form of a question.
    Is it possible that let's say the lenses are loaded with moisture and condensation, that the processors/sensors are making color and exposure
    corrections that may cause the delay? I firmly do not believe there are any performance problems with these two sensors and LCD Screens that we know are Canon OEM. No Korean or Chinese invasions here. I like these lenses very much and will continue to use
    them in endeavors other than Floral Photography. Many thanks to everyone and your contributions.

Tony :))

20. Thumbnail

Firstly Tony I didn't say 'a lot of moisture', for example, if you breathe on spectacles lenses to polish them as I do you will see that it is only a tiny amount of moisture that completely clouds the lens so we are not talking cups full in the lenses. I may be missing the mark but in my sixty plus years behind a camera I have seen many instances of condensation related problems both with film and digital and especially digital circuitry.

Think about the weather recently - has there been any dramatic changes in temperature and/or humidity; do you move between warmand cool environments when you are shooting; have the flowers been watered before you take your photos. In other words try to narrow down anything that is out of the normal in your day-to-day shooting or even subject-to-subject shooting and make notes so you have a reference to what,when and possibly why.

It is difficult to diagnose problems like this remotely and my best suggestion is to try drying out the lenses gently - over a period od time to let any moisture escape from within the lens and possibly a similar treatment for the first camera.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Tonytee likes this.